Racetrack advice again!!! & Lami ?'s x x

k8te

Jun 8, 2008
Ringwood, hampshire
Ok so Ace has had his little racetrack for a while now, and he hasn't had any heat or pulses except on 1 occassion when he was left out all day instead of coming in his stable. When we have had rain, followed by sunshine i shut it off so even more restricted.

Anyhow, the grass in the middle is growing very nicely am i right in believeing that the older long grass is less damaging/dangerous?? Was thinking of opening it up bit by bit eventually as we get into winter. But not sure if its ok to :redface:

Also i have read not to turn out on a frosty morning, so do you just keep them in till it has melted?? What if they are out on it?

thanks x

Experience of my lami pony is that I slowly introduce any type of grass, I feed hay in varying amounts all year to try and avoid any complete changes in diet.

As for frosty grass this is more of a problem if you get a hard frost followed by bright winter sun, causes a sort of sugar surge in the grass.
I always keep my lami pony and my cushing pony in a quite bare paddock over winter, I am always there early in the morning so they get hay to fill up on.

Only really practial to keep on bareish ground if your land doesn't turn into a bog in wet weather.

newrider.com