Race horse to riding horse, novice ridden and family mount.......

HorseManiac

Dec 19, 2005
With Percy:)
What would you need to wear for these classes? Both horse and rider!!

Its a little very local show, but the Racehorse to riding horse one is a qualifier.

Plaited up? mane and tail?

Dont worry, the condition and muscle is a work in progress ;)

Thanks!! x

Plait up, sparklingly clean hoss and tack.

I would go for as little tack as poss in family mount (if its the class im thinking of) as the horse is supposed to be safe.

If its a little show and your going for fun and experience than id wear whatever you have, beige joddys, clean boots, shirt thats not glaringly white and jacket.

No point spending loads for your first one as you might decide its not for you.

(have you cleared your PMs? I tried to reply yesterday but couldnt).

x

yeah a nose band would probs be a good idea but you dont usually use one do you? just get a cavesson and do it up loose and it shouldnt bother him.

You can get cheap equi-leather gaiters, like from saxon and dublin which are actually quite nice (didnt fit me - i have to get made to measure cos i have long thin legs and bony pointy ankles :rolleyes: )

Ooh exciting!

If you want gaiters then Robinsons do cheap ones. They do cheap leather ones or equileather ones. I have the equileather ones and they do fine. :)

I have a black jacket, shirt, stock and beige jodphurs with boots and gaiters.

That's all I have show wise so that's my outfit for any competition! :D

The horse should be in a snaffle bridle and as rach said if he isn't used to a noseband just do it up loosely. :)

When are you planning this and will we have pictures?! :p

Good luck! :)

Race Horse to Riding horse needs you to turn out to show standard, plaited, bridle either double or snaffle with caveson noseband, you in either 'hunter' turnout (tweed jacket) or 'hack' turnout (Blue jacket) depending on which type your horse is. You will definately need long boots/gaiters. The judge will ride in these classes, most are experienced show judges often also ex jockeys. Who is the judge?

Same turnout will do for all the classes but generally family horses/ponies are more cobby laid back types, I remember one person carrying an umbrella to illustrate the horses bombproofness :eek:

Well he isn't going to be a hunter, so I'd go for a navy jacket. Although Riding horses are commonly shown in tweed, navy is acceptable. Navy is also correct for hacks, so you're turning out right for both that way. I can't be bothered picture hunting, but if you want clarification as to which he is, Glider, Mehitabel or SFS (who does the racehorse classes) would be good to PM.

Team that with a shirt, tie, breeches and long boots (or short and gaiters), and brown gloves and a navy hat, ideally with a leather harness. You should carry a show cane too.

Percy will need plaiting, tail preferably pulled (or use one of those rake things on it) and trimming. He wants a bling browband, but not too much of the stuff, and no ridiculous colours. :p He's a chestnut, so something green or navy would be a safe bet. You can match this with your tie.

You could wear the same stuff for family mount. For both FM and novice, you need a snaffle. For the ex racer class, a pelham with two reins is better, but I would stick with a snaffle for at least the first show you do. Do the classes, get the experience, learn all the tricks and then head out to qualify next year. ;)

Last edited:
Well he isn't going to be a hunter, so I'd go for a navy jacket.

Many ex-racehorses have been successful lightweight hunters, so he could be. Tweed and navy are both acceptable in these classes, but most are riding horse types, and therefore in tweed (with coloured browband).

Mum of SFS here!!

Ours are ex flatracers, older one 16hh ish and baby 15.2 ish, both hack types, the older one has been shown in riding horse but looks like a midget, although she has been pulled in well up the line in novice classes :confused:
( unfortunately didn't ride well for the judge and ended up well down the line :eek:)

SFS also rides some NH horses for owners who are definately light weight hunters. What is Percies background?

Don't forget you also need your Weatherbys passport with you to qualify.

Hi!

Thanks thanks thanks!!!!

Percy raced erm 6 races then he was too slow so they sold him to a polo person!
He is registered with weatherbys because when we sent of the new ownership name etc, it came back with a weatherbys slip and stamp on next to my name.

It doesnt say anything about the judge riding:S

x

If its a Racehorse to Riding horse qualifier, the judge will ride. It will be as per a riding horse or hack class. The standard is usually very high, it qualifies for a final at Hickstead and that was last year mainly attended by pros.
Here is a judge riding my horse in a retraining of racehorse class:
0505093.jpg

And to clarify hack or riding horse turnout - Mehitabel has an excellent website here:
http://rehorses.com/

But here is me in hack turnout:
n199709314_35496114_6366.jpg

And again in a riding horse turnout:
sidthumbnail2.jpg

I think that would personally be a bit much for first party, you would be much better off having a fun small outing and do some unaff classes like Best rider, best horse etc.
As for tack - for local and infrequent showing you can wear anything as long as its very very clean!

But if you are going be serious about showing, and do the ROR/SEIB qualifiers etc, you will need to go the whole hog. Brown straight cut show saddle, brown hunter bridle with double bridle. LIke I say, if you are going to compete in affiliated classes you DO need to look the part.

Edit to add to compete in ex racer classes you need a WHITE Weatherbys passport where the front page is called 'Document of Description' - does yours look like that or is it a standard equine passport that happens to be from weatherbys? If you can prove his racing name (what was it , out of interest?) and get some bloods done, you can get his old racing documents back to entitle you to do these classes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit to add to compete in ex racer classes you need a WHITE Weatherbys passport where the front page is called 'Document of Description' - does yours look like that or is it a standard equine passport that happens to be from weatherbys? If you can prove his racing name (what was it , out of interest?) and get some bloods done, you can get his old racing documents back to entitle you to do these classes.
Sorry to hijack...
My lad's racing passport went missing somewhere along the line, and when he came to me, he arrived with a Cleveland Bay Society passport (it was issued when he was sold through York auctions). I called Weatherbys at the time because I wanted a copy of his official passport, but I was told I would only be able to get the "normal" Weatherby's passport (the paper kind in a clear plastic sleeve) which wouldn't say anything about him having raced.
However, he is registered with the Ex Racers Club and I'm planning to register him with ROR. Would I be prevented from entering classes other than those held by the ERC? :confused:

SFS grey arrived with no passport. With a lot of detective work tracing prvious owners, blood testing and Vet ID we were able to get her racing passport reissued.

Yes you will not be able to do ROR or ex racers qualifiers unless you have this passport, copy of ID needs to be handed to the ring steward.

Sorry to hijack too.
My horse was in training in France therefore is not registered with Weatherby's but with the Haras Nationaux (sp?) in France.
Does that mean I can't do any ex racehorses events in this country?
I could from the previous owner get details of the training yard he was at if needed.

It is a small show at my riding club, but has a Racehorse to riding horse class, and it saids qualifier.

I do like showing, but I think its great for a first show, he is doing some other little classes to.

His passport is blue and his name is Lake Wobegone.

Im now wondering wether I should bother doing that class?

Hmmm.

Yes CWR this is the show I was talking about:D:D ahhaa.

Irish 13yo chestnut gelding, run in six races never placed, best was 12th out of 18. Does that sound like him?

Check is it an ROR class qualifying for Hickstead. Phone the secretary and ask if the judge will ride. It might just be another ex racer class but as has been said ROR classes are not a place to start your first showing experience together

newrider.com