Quick replies appreciated.... does this need stitches???

Ex-racer

May 24, 2007
Suffolk
Demi has cut her leg, it's on the inside at the very top of her front leg, in the folds of skin. No idea how she did it!

This is how it looks when she's standing. I've cleaned it and put sudocrem around it to keep the flies off.
cit2.jpg

And here I'm holding it open, which is how it goes when she steps forwards...
cut.jpg

Does it need stitches?

Last edited:
when did she do it? there is very little time before stitching is not an option, open wound of that type I would be inclined to speak with vet - if you get infectio9n you could end up with problems - I suspect you think that hence requesting quick responses - gelding at the yard had a tangle with wire - she kept it cleansed and covered - didn't get Vet and 3 days on Cellulitis which is still been dealt with 3 weeks on....

Personally I say Yes to stitches. Jam had an identical cut in the same place and vet said it would be too risky not to.

Thanks for the fast replies. My vet asked me to send him some photos. He said it could be stitched but that it would heal the same without stitching, just take a little bit longer. Seeing as I had a £700 vet bill last month and I know Demi is a really fast healer, I've decided to let it heal on it's own.

At up to six hours old I personally wouldn't, too much risk of infection getting trapped.

I would personally clean and use steristrips if you can get them to sticks and just keep dry covered to keep dust out for a few days

isn't email great - good that you spoke with vet - I would keep an eye on it as in the folds with the warm weather and movement opening it up it could collect dirt - any sign of heat ,swelling or pus and I would be back on to them - hopefully wont need to - the are always getting into scrapes - £700 ouch - I've just forked out 2 months of £200 and that was bad enough!

I'm used to keeping it clean. The £700 was for sarcoid treatment. She had the liverpool cream so was left with a hole like this....

9.jpg

It was just about healed up and now the new cut is in the exact same place. You can kind of see in this picture the pink circle of skin that was the almost completely healed sarcoid and now the new cut going straight through it.

2-3.jpg

Horses... I don't know why we have them!

Do you definately know she's cut it as have seen something looking the same recently.I think I would get the vet out to this,a girl on our yard has had her horse treated for a sarcoid in the same place. He healed up just like you say & then one day it was a deep open mouth type wound,the vet said that it was the sarcoid not completely gone so he had to have another dose of the sarcoid treatment after which it healed up fine. Hope it isn't that but probably a good idea to check.

Yes email is fab. I was able to send my vet photos one day because i didn't think it needed a visit there and then, but as ongoing illness i wanted to check. Turned out no worries.
I also think having phone that take the photo and send it before i leave the yard is also great.

newrider.com