Quick question about tail swishing!

ladywiththebaby

Mar 6, 2007
Cambridge
I'm just sat watching Horse and Country on Sky and its Carl Hester et al doing dressage to music. Very impressive stuff but why do all the horses swish their tails around so much while doing it? Is it to do with balance? Or something entirely different? I always thought horses swished their tails when they were peeved?!

And OMG they look so amazing!!

Peeved or excited I think. Dressage horses are usually pretty highly strung...maybe the tail swishing is a way of releasing pent up energy when they are having to do such precise, controlled movements.

Who knows, that's just my ramblings...

It's often a sign of irritation / frustration and can also indicate physical discomfort. I think when you see it in performance horses, who are happy and comfortable doing their job, it tends to be an expression of enthusiasm!

Excessive tail swishing should be marked down by dressage judges as it generally means a horse is resistant/resentful. But it is often ignored, I think. Not seen the vid so not commenting particularly on Hester, but it is common to see tail swishing in dressage and it is often the horse's 'silent protest'.

My mare will do it if i do something she doesn't want to do. If she does it she will swish tail to let me know i am not happy with you, but complies.
I always take note, it is a way of expression, it shouldn't be ignored.
It could be pain, resentment, annoyance, whatever it is they are communicating with us.

My dad joined me on foot for a hack the other day, we went for a wee canter and my dad said my boys tail was spinning the whole way....he most certainly wasn't resisting!

Yup, Prince does this when he's p'd off too.

I liked Laura's suggestion about dressage horses letting pent up energy go through tail swishing, after all, they are very controlled by the rider during dressage :wink:

(Not sure that Prince has ever had THAT experience lol)

eml. can I ask you a very silly question about the tail of your horse who uses his as a propeller? Is the hair in his tail thin and whispy?

Watch 'blue hors matine' on youtube - she was a classic tail swisher, often in time to the music! She clearly loved her job, and I am convinced her tail swishing was enthusiasm.

But sometimes you do see the more tense, uptight tail swishing, and that is not so nice to see :(

Found a classic 'Blue' video for you :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKQgTiqhPbw&sns=em

Blue Hors Matine :inlove::inlove::inlove: Wasn't she something? One of my favourite clips this. And yes, I would say a perfect example of 'happy' tail swishing. I think it's fairly easy to tell the difference between a stressed out swishy tail and a happy one once you get to really know the hossy. 'Tis like the instinct that tells you if someone is smiling a genuine smile or if its forced. You just know.

Oh, and I meant to add, the swishy tail shouldn't be looked at in isolation - the rest of the horse AND the swishy tail will say something about how he's feeling.

Sorry eml, the reason I ask is a friend has a very talented Orlov Trotter who has a very sad excuse for a tail, we are never allowed to brush it, just run your fingers through it to gently get the knots out. it's that pathetic. He wears a tail wig on his crupper for shows......but he has the most mobile and strong tail, again he amazed the physio at the power he had in his tail, and we wondered if it was his tail thrashing that broke all the hairs and made it so skanky. He has to wear an antil tail swishing crupper in teams and tandems as he has been known to swish and trap a rein under his tail.

Watch 'blue hors matine' on youtube - she was a classic tail swisher, often in time to the music! She clearly loved her job, and I am convinced her tail swishing was enthusiasm.

But sometimes you do see the more tense, uptight tail swishing, and that is not so nice to see :(

Found a classic 'Blue' video for you :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKQgTiqhPbw&sns=em

This is an amazing performance.It's so obvious that she is enjoying herself. such a shame she is no longer with us :(

newrider.com