Quick bareback question

dragonfarmgirl

Oct 26, 2008
cheshire/shropshire
Hi folks.
Just wanted to pick your brains. I have been dying to ride my mare, Daisy, who has been doing her best to thwart my plans by getting too fat for her saddle, then, when I get a treeless that fits, she grew sarcoids on her girth line !!!
The thing is, I REALLY want to ride her. I haven't ridden for a yr for various reasons and I have been working towards riding her for weeks, getting her fitter, and me thinner and fitter.
The only way I can see is to ride her bareback which I have never done and will prob be rubbish at.
I have a Best friend bareback pad and was wondering, if I took the girth off, would it help me stick on her back for more than the 30 secs I am predicting before gravity gets me ? or would it be too unstable ?
Would some of that rubbery shelf liner stuff work ? (can't remember what it is called)
All I want to do is have someone lead me around in walk for 10 mins to start with so I can get the feel again, then build up.
Any tips (other than superglueing a pair of Jods to her back and slipping into them when I want to ride :giggle:) ?
xxx

It might not help, but I have been riding bareback in the snow in my overtrousers (to keep me cosy!), they have a suede seat and it totally sticks me to the horses back! My RI joked about it when I got on, but then when we had a couple of trips and slides, I stuck like glue! My other friends on the other hand were just wearing regular salopettes and waterproof trousers and felt like they were slipping all over the place. Might be worth a try...

If you have a pair of jods with the suede bum that tends to give you a feeling of security.

Just hop on and ride in walk, and when you feel confident move up a gear. You can also do online and liberty, loose schooling, inhand walking etc.

This time of year a warm back underneath you is nice, it gives you a feeling of closeness.

Thank you both, I think I will have to buy some more jods. I have just lost 38lbs so I suppose a treat is in order :biggrin:
Just in case I can't get any in time do you think the bareback pad without the girth would help ?
I already do NH with her and love groundwork so will do everything with her. I am home for 10 days so enough time to have lots of fun (and falls !!)

I think just getting on without the bareback pad would be better if she is having problems with her girth area, as I have a feeling the pad may move when you try to get on and might slip when you are actually on.

I really wouldn't use a bareback pad without a girth, I think you would be less secure than just you and the horse.

Why not slip something around her neck for that emergency grab handle?

I really wouldn't use a bareback pad without a girth, I think you would be less secure than just you and the horse.

Why not slip something around her neck for that emergency grab handle?

I agree with Jane, I think you would be far more secure without the pad. I would stick a neckstrap on for something to grab if you are feeling unsteady, though I generally forget the neckstrap in those little 'moments' and just grab a handful of mane! Just stick with walk and see how you both get on.

Bareback is great for keeping you cosy on these cold days :happy:

Thanks for the advice. I will see if I can find sticky bum jods and rely on her Haflinger mane (lots to grab :biggrin:)
I'm sort of scared but also really looking forward to it so wish me luck.
I'll see if I can get someone to take photos
xxx

I ride bareback in my jeans. So no sticky seat patch. I think I put a neck strap on her but never used it.

I walk and trot in the school bareback. If you can ride without stirrups, bareback is not such a major problem.

Just take it slowly with someone leading, to see what it feels like - First thing to notice is that you are kept on the horse by the weight on your seat bones, and as the horse walks you get a direct feel of the hind legs moving under you. Your seat needs to relax, to allow the movement, but it wont tip you off sideways, you are in the middle.
The horse has the mane and a central parting so it is easy to stay central on the horse and you just shove over and reposition yourself if you begin to slip, e.g. in trot.

It feels very secure riding bareback because the horses muscles are in direct contact with your legs - Your legs hang farther forward that when riding with a saddle and they fit naturally into a hollow behind the shoulder of the horse - that's how native Americans rode.
Do not try to imitate the riding position you aim for in the saddle.
When it comes to trotting take it little by little. If you are on the straight you will be fine. Corners are harder. Depending on how crooked you are and your horse, a circle in one direction may be harder than the other - You have to stay straight across the horse and not twist, if you see what I mean and this may be harder with no saddle to guide you. The first week I learned to trot on the right rein bareback but not left. The next week I learned left as well.

The first time my RI ever allowed me off the lunge in a lesson I was bare back. Which may reassure you.

The odd thing is that it seems to be like riding a bike. Once you have learned, may be you never forget. I went to ride bareback this summer, feeling quite old and not fit - and it was a whole year since I had last done it. It turned out that I could trot on both reins with no problem at all.

Deffo without the pad, and my adivce?

Sod the mane, just fling your arms around her neck!!!!! And dont grip with your legs!!!! Madam goes faster and faster if I wobble and then grip LOL. But seriously I put my arms around her neck if I can feel myself going, that way I have a better dismount rather than a fall :giggle:

I'd agree to forget about the pad and just get on and walk about.

Saying that I nearly brained myself last week bareback lol.

Start off small, to start with you might want to just get on, give her a stroke and sit there for a bit and then get on, then build up to walking then trotting and then cantering.

I love riding bareback in winter, pony is fluffy on his back and I stay warm :biggrin:

newrider.com