Questions for all you long-reining folks!

Keket

Jan 26, 2004
I'm considering doing some long-rein work with Topaz. She lunges well when we can't ride her and she needs exercise, but it's always a good idea to add in something new, eh? She's developing, but still lacking in muscle on her back and neck, so I thought a bit of long-reining every now and then would help her, because she'll have to go forward in a contact, but I won't be on her to interfere with her.

I've done some minimal long-reining, so I know the basics and I'm fairly good at maintaining a consistent contact. She goes on voice commands, so forward motion and brakes aren't an issue.

So my questions...

1) I'm using a roller/surcingle with fixed loops on it, not a saddle (it's really wonderful having an RI that owns everything and lets you use it as long as you put it back where you found it:D ). I'm assuming that to get her to lower her head (she's been known to do a giraffe impression), I should use a lower set of rings rather then a higher set, yes?

2) I'm using a standard bridle. Should I remove the regular reins altogether, or can I I be lazy and just put them over her neck?

3) Topaz isn't a spooky horse, but I don't want to make her first long-reining experience an awful one. She's been driven from the ground before, but the outside rein was across her back, not around her bum. How long did it take your horse to get accustomed to the rein around it's bum?

1. Well, I think Scarlett is our resident LL expert (we've all seen that fabby vid :D ) but in my limited experience of the joys of LL (I love it!) I would say yes, use the lower ring of the roller or even use her saddle and put the lines through the stirrups (tie them together under her belly or they will just fly up and out when cornering. I find that it's a better way for a beginner to start and more "obvious" to the horse.

2. Of course you can be lazy and leave her existing reins on her bridle, but you may end up with some tangling. I would loop them under her throatlatch to keep them out of the way.

3. As icegirl says, I would use a helper to actually lead Topaz around at first until she gets the general idea. My little Indy hasn't adjusted to the sensation of lines round her quarters so during her first LL session I had Sooty lead her and I just walked along behind. Because the lines were tickling she kept swinging out so I would drop the outside line so that it didn't become taught and scare her as I didn't want her to remember bad experiences at such an early stage.

If Topaz is used to voice commands for lungeing, you can use those to ask for different gaits. When she is working happily with you following her, then you can start to walk to her inside so that there is a little feeling of a line round her outside and just take it from there really. You can built up to dual-line lungeing and figure 8's. If she shows signs of nerves take it slowly. Better to take longer and make smaller achievements than to rush and scare her and ultimately set yourself back.

Make it interesting and HAVE FUN :)

Do it in the stable first (or a more enclosed area) and just see if she is bothered about the rope round her bum. If it does bother her when you slip the rope around her behind she has space to move but wont drag you around and give you rope burns if she decides its going to eat her alive!! Then you can just open the stable door and off you tootle :D Also if your in a big area and you are new to long lining and a bit clumbsy with the ropes it will be dangerous should you get a bit caught up and she runs for it, in the stable she wont run very far :)

Just caught this thread.

For a horse not used to long reining, use the lowest ring on the surcingle. On that ring, we could get a nice contact. This is the best one to use for less experienced horses. Apparently when the horse is more experienced you can move up to the higher ones, but when I tried that with Skeeter it all fell to pieces. I'd take the reins off. A pain, but the less to interfere the better for all. Skeeter looked surprised for about 20 seconds at the rope around his bum, and then within minutes was walking like a star and that same lesson was trotting in lovely contact. So he was pretty much instantly okay with the long lines around his bum and thigh.

Hope this helps!!!

newrider.com