Question for you horse owners - how many times a week to you ride??

kirstinbell

Jul 24, 2007
Glasgow
Having just bought my first horse after years of lessons I'm begining to realise that its 90% work 10% riding:):)

Just wanted to see if this is the same for everyone else?

I'm was planning to get 5 days of riding in a week - with about 1/2 hour schooling most days and maybe 1 hack per week but now that I've actually got my boy I'm wondering if that is realistic or if I'm just a bit slow at getting things done and need to get into my routine:)

Just wanted to se if everyone else was the same??

I ride whenever I can which at the moment is about 5-7 times a week, usually hacks to keep her fit for the few comps I'll do in winter, and because I love riding her :D

Kai gets ridden by me about 3 times a month!! he has a lesson with a little girl every saturday and gets used by my stablemate for her friend to hack on a few times a month.

I did have a sharer but thats ended now, but I drive him about 2-3 times a week now weathers a bit grotty and I'm quite busy to!

Having good facilites does help like an indoor/outdoor floodlit.. I expect Kai is glad I dont have that!!! ( just you wait boy!!) :p

I think it's going to depend on whether it is the summer or winter, whether they live out or not and whether you have lighting in winter. I'm going to start sharing shortly and won't get anywhere near as much riding in during the winter as there are stable chores to do. In the summer he lives out so there's less to do and more light to do it in!:)

I reckon I will only be riding for an hour or so during the week, with maybe a couple of hours at the weekend. In the summer I would hope for more than that.

I try and ride 6 times a week but sometimes if I'm working late or have other commitments it is less. But my horse is one of those that needs the stimulation, if he didn't behave like a total plonker when not worked this often I probably wouldn't bother so much :eek:

I bought my first horse 18 months ago and still can't get enough!

I generally school for an hour a day 3-4 days a week and on a Sunday we go for massive hacks (our record was 6 hours).

I dont get a lot of time, Im a bit lazy about getting up at 6am to ride lol so once/twice a week if that but i got a horse specifically that could cope with that.

yeah luckily with kai he can be left for 2 weeks and is just as chilled. I agree summer you get alot more done.. He even looked muscled up and toned :eek: Not sure I could cope if he needed constant exercise!

When I had my old horse (from when I was 13 to when I was 19) I schooled at least half an hour Monday, Wednesday and Friday (sometimes an hour depending on the school availability / light). I did an hour on Saturdays and an hour on Sundays (but was usually riding other people's horses too so occasionally rode up to 2&1/2 hours on Sundays). Um... when I went to college I got him a sharer for mondays and fridays during term time and only managed the above in the holidays. Also had weekly riding lessons for half an hour each Wednesday and occasionally excercised my mums horse the same as my own if she was on holiday.

All the horses were on Full Livery though, so the 'work' aspect was greatly reduced.
He did a bit less in winter but we had an indoor and outdoor school so were much less restricted by weather than some people. He hacked out once a week but not usually with me. All in all between me and sharer Id say he did at least an hours work a day, 6 days a week. Sometimes 2 hours.

Now Im lucky if I manage once a month!
(not through anything other than lack of horse - I still have the time)

xxx

Last edited:
Can you change that to how many times a year, my answer sounds much better that way.:D

About 7 :eek:

Me and my old boy dont need to do any more than that :D

As for daughter and hers, it depends whether they are getting ready to compete. When competing about 6 times a week each horse.

At the moment they are resting for a few months and not doing much. That will change at Christmas when we will fully clip them.

When the weather is decent, I ride about 5-6 days/week. But that might be just 30-45 minutes, if I'm rushed. In the winter, which appears to have started here :rolleyes:, it's whenever it's not raining and the ground has drained a bit :eek:

jay normally does 6 days per week & around 2+ hours most days:)

fizz does about 30 mins lunging per week:eek:

I try to ride at least 2-3 times a week with my daughter. Although she would be out there everyday if she could. It has been raining alot so it has been more like 1 day a week and the rest of the time we just go out and love on them. My husband gets jealous, but he knew what he was getting into :rolleyes: :p
Now that my older daughter (14) is starting to ride--just got her an arab to race in the wind :p --spring will be fun for us girls and lonely for the men.

When I'm not at uni Ace is exercised 6 times a week - lunged once for 20mins, schooled twice for 2 hours (one session flatwork/one session jumping and flatwork) and hacked for between 1 1/2 and 3 hours at weekends.

When I'm at uni mum lunges him once a week and schools once and hacks once most of the time depending on the weather.

This only just keeps him ticking over, he's such an idiot without being worked.
We'll see how it goes this winter!

i ride Lacey about 2x a week.i give a lesson on her to a friend 1x a week and i have a sharer that rides 3 x a week. but she can be left for two weeks no problem.

PJ gets ridden between 2-5 times a week

I normally only work weekends so when the kids are at school, I generally get to ride 5 days a week. When the kids are on holidays I go up less, however it very much depends on my OH's shifts so it's usually 3 times a week.

Depending on the ground I ride about 6 times a week and give Katey one day off a week.I'm happy to hack out in the rain and I do love riding out(only walking) after it's snowed and the sky is crystal blue...it's gorgeous!!

It depends on the time of year. I'm on midterms right now, so I will only ride on weekends. They are only for two weeks, so its not a big deal. There are points during the year that I suddenly become very busy and have to take a week break from riding just to catch up. Normally for the 8 months of the year I am in school, I ride about 4 times a week, maybe 5.

For the other four months of the year I ride at least 5 days a week.

Would love to say I ride mine 2 or 3 times a week, but I know I don't atm.

I work full time, study part time and also got other commitments. After work I call round and feed my other two horses (which aren't being ridden) and by the time I get home and have checked on my "riding" horse, it's usually late and half way dark and I think I'll do it tomorrow. :p

Always wonder how people do it (ride their horses 5-7 times a week)?
Always presume they are either still in school or don't work full time or their partner does everything around the house for them? :D I really don't know.
In the summer it's a bit easier as I can go back out after supper, but in the winter it seems impossible to ride that often.

Last edited:
I ride my top horse 6 days a week, and sometimes lunge him on the 7th day, my young horses to sell are schooled 4 or 5 days, with a hack some where in between and my riding school horses are schooled by me 5 days a week, with lessons at the weekend, they usually get 6 days a week. So I ride every day rain, hail or snow!

newrider.com