Question for a saddler re girth straps

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
Can anyone tell me how much the straps are that the girth attaches to. I need to get some replacements for my saddle and want a rough idea on price.

They are for a wintec saddle and are not stitched in they are on a metal loop with a kind of webbing that is stitched to the strap if that makes sense. Looks like I could cut the old ones off and just thread new ones through the metal loops. I need all four straps.

I did ring a saddler and they said they need the saddle to look at it and that I would be without the saddle for a week depending on when I took it to them, but minimum a week. They couldn't even indicate a price to me.

Will take a photo if needs be and post it on here later. I cant believe that I can't just buy replacement straps and put them on myself. But maybe someone can help.

I bought some from robinsons in the sale, mine were £2.50 for 6 :)

Maybe they have more in, might be worth giving them a ring:)

I've just been in touch with Robinsons and they don't do them it would seem. They only have girth strap extenders.

Can anyone tell me how much the straps are that the girth attaches to. I need to get some replacements for my saddle and want a rough idea on price.

They are for a wintec saddle and are not stitched in they are on a metal loop with a kind of webbing that is stitched to the strap if that makes sense. Looks like I could cut the old ones off and just thread new ones through the metal loops. I need all four straps.

I did ring a saddler and they said they need the saddle to look at it and that I would be without the saddle for a week depending on when I took it to them, but minimum a week. They couldn't even indicate a price to me.

Will take a photo if needs be and post it on here later. I cant believe that I can't just buy replacement straps and put them on myself. But maybe someone can help.

It's always difficult to quote for a job without seeing the saddle, because some saddles are easy to change girth straps on, others require the saddle to be partly dismantled (dropping the panels) to get at the girth straps properly. Yours sound extremely simple! In our old place of work in the UK, if you had called ahead and booked the job in, we could have done it 'while you waited' (if we weren't too backed up with work!:rolleyes:) A week sounds a bit excessive, but they may have been allowing for a heavy workload in the week!!

I can't quote prices for the UK now, as I've been out of the UK market for too long ;) Oz (Unicornleather) or Wally will be able to give you an idea of price...if they don't see this thread, drop them a PM. :)

Good luck!! :)

Some girth straps you can change yourself. I don't want to comment on yours though because I'm not familiar with the saddle.

I know the type you mean, I wouldn't have thought it was a big job to knock some up.

Thanks. I didn't get down the yard early enough tonight to get any photos. But I'll try to tomorrow. Im sure it is simple to do.

newrider.com