Question about loading horse in trailer (after long time not being loaded)

Scarlett 001

Sep 16, 2003
My horse was a school horse and loaded into trailers all the time before I got him to go to shows etc. No issues. I am not experienced at all with loading myself, so have a question and it may be naive. :eek:

When I first bought my horse he practically ran into the trailer on his own accord when I picked him up to take to his new home. First home did not work out, and he hopped again voluntarily into the trailer. He quite liked this next home where he was for several months, but when I moved him to my current barn, for the first time he was a difficult loader. We got him in, but with some effort (I had a very experienced horse trainer/rider doing the loading - maybe it took 5-10 minutes at most to get him in - he was resisting). Now he has been at his current barn for 2 years and has not gone anywhere in that time so no loading him into trailers.

I need to load him in a few weeks for a real journey (another very experienced trainer/friend will do the loading that day) and am wondering what to expect in terms of how readily he will load. I know no one can say for certain, but is it possible he could be difficult to load after all this time, or is loading like bicycle riding - once a horse does it readily, they tend *not* to lose the skill? What experiences have people had with loading after long breaks of no loading? As long as we eventually get him loaded, there will be no real rush time-wise and someone very experienced will be putting him in the trailer.

p.s. I don't think anyone I am friends with at my current barn has a trailer on the property to practice loading. If I can locate someone should I try to do this, or am I being overly concerned?

No, IME good loaders don't tend to 'go off' loading unless they have a really bad experience. First time we took mare to the stud it had been months since she had been on the lorry, she got a bit excited and put her head over the partition when she went up (its herringbone stalls and she was last in) so we had to back her out down the ramp and load her again - but she was fine :eek:

Try not to worry about it, he'll take confidence from you if you just act normal.

My experiences with Tess suggest that it is like riding a bike, she's travelled three times in the last 12 months, twice just recently, and loaded beautifully every time. She will load herself into a trailer with the partition and breast bar up :)

When my boy went lame back at the begining of the year I had to load him to take him to the vets for x-rays. I was dreading it, as the horse had not been in a trailer since he arrived at the yard. The previous owner had him for about 4 years and then I brought him, but just kept him at the same yard. It must have been somewhere between 4 & 5 years since he had been in the trailer.

I had nothing to worry about, I just walked him down the track to the trailer, carrot in front of his nose and straight up and in. No hesitation, nothing. I understand from the person that loaded him to bring him home that it was a peice of cake also. Maybe I was just lucky. I followed behind when he went to the vets, I could see his head sticking up and he just stood there he didn't pace or anything.

Don't let him stand and look at the trailer, just walk him across the yard, straight up and in. The less time they have to stand and look at it the better. Don't allow him any thinking time. Put a carrot (or his favourite treat) in front of his nose as you walk him across the yard. Maybe as soon as he's in put some fed in front of his nose, as a reward.

if he hasnt had a bad experience he should be okay - maybe open the jockey door and pull the partition over a bit so there is lots of light and he can see where he is going. Please wear a hat and gloves. drives me mad when people load unfamiliar horses with not hat or gloves and end up with rope burn or worse!

How did the loading go????

Thanks Siogfinsceal, I have forgotten about this thread.

Scarlett 001 how did the loading go or have you not taken him yet. Did you try him a trailer before hand.

The loading is tomorrow. :)

I am moving barns tomorrow. I've been at my current barn for 2 years, but for various reasons it was time for a change and fresh ideas and scenery.

Good luck for the move - hope all goes well and Skeets quickly settles into his new home :)

Fingers crossed for an easy trip!

Coquette was travelled a lot as a very young foal, from Manitoba to Nova Scotia, paraded out at an auction, then shipped another three hours to her current home. Then she didn't travel again until she was about three and a half years old. Practiced with her a lot, getting into and out of the trailer (it's a two horse, straight load, step-up) and she travelled fine. Didn't load her again for another year and a half and once again, she loaded beautifully. As long as Skeets hasn't had a bad experience, he should be good. :)

newrider.com