Question about Braiding for Dressage...

horseygirl

Dec 3, 2000
northern Illinois, USA
Visit site
Hello,
I'm hopefully getting my first horse soon (woohoo!) and I hope to show him in dressage. But I have a question about braiding: Are "Diamond Braids" acceptable for lower levels of dressage? I think they're also called Lattice Braids or Spanish Braids...Anyway, like the horse in this picture: http://www.arab-sporthorse.com/images/groomi3small.jpg .

The Haflinger I am getting a has a nice thick mane, and I couldn't do the tiny hunter braids without thinning it considerably, which would kind of take away from one of the breed's characteristics...so are these braids okay for dressage shows in the US? Anybody? Also, do most people braid tails for lower level (like 1st, 2nd) dressage shows? Thanks!

Oh yeah, also...

Can anybody think of a nice show name for this guy? He's a 14.1 hand Haflinger gelding...His name right now is Moonie, and I've just been calling him MooMoo because he's got a bit of a hay belly. I don't think MooMoo or Moonie are very dressage-y names. Can anybody think of any awesome names? Thanks again! :)

Ok I am an Ozzie so I can't comment on the braiding of the mane in that diamond braid way as far as US is concerned. However, I do not believe that it is acceptable in Australia to plait that way for dressage, and have only ever personally done normal rosette plaits, or the white taped plait, or a running braid for dressage and or showing competitions.

In the Arabian breed show circles, this type of plait is acceptable, however is very rarely seen.

Personally I think this type of braid draws too much attention away from the whole horse, and directs your eye to the mane only.

In lower level dressage competitions I always braid my horses tails, as I believe that if you have made the effort to enter the competition then you should make the effort to present the horse to the best of your ability. I do not know for sure if it is written rule, or if it is just considered the correct thing to do.

Hope you get some US replies, but if you don't ring your local dressage organisation or Equestrian Federation and ask.
Cheers! Aly

Maybe you could try an Arab/Native plait instead? I've seen those used in dressage before - only local level - I've never seen it in top class stuff.

I have seen lattice braiding done in the UK with Natives and Lusitanos doing dressage but I'm not sure about the attitude to this in the USA.

Not feeling very original today but how about Moongold for a show name.

Hello:
I've been doing dressage for quite a while, and while the Lattice plaiting looks really neat, it's not acceptable in the show ring at dressage shows. Open shows, yes. Even at an Arab/Morgan breed show, but not at a dressage show. :(

One of the reasons that you get dressed up, and the horse gets braided with buttons is out of pure respect for the judge. Another reason is that when the mane is braided into buttons, it accents the neck, and it's easier to see.

Since the little Haflinger guy you're going to get has a very thick mane, you can try a running braid along the crest (I'll try and find a photo or two of a running braid). It's very simple to do. If you can French braid, you'll be able to pick up the running braid in no time. Plus, if you don't know how to French braid, it's a really great way to learn how.

Re: Oh yeah, also...

Hey, I ride a horse named Skipper and his show name is NAUTICAL, would that work? I don't think you live in Alberta anyway so it's not like they would meet. :D I hope that helps!

~NeZzA~

Diamond Braids

Horse Illustrated just did an article about turn out in June's issue. Here's what it said about the braid you're talking about (I'm paraphrasing):

"Breeds with traditionally long manes- Arabians, Morgans, Friesians [to name a few]- can wear a continental or basketweave plait [the briad you're talking about]."

For dreesage, yes, I would think this type of braid would be okay because a Haflinger has a "traditionally long mane" and the judges recognise this when marking for turn out. I would think it wouldn't affect your score as long as it's neat and even looking!

Maci :)

PS- I would braid the tail if you can- adds to turn out marks, and you and your horse look more pro!

Last edited:
Tails are rarely braided for dressage. Pull it, if you can, and bang it.

with haflingers you just leave them natural. But i have seen haflingers at dressage shows here in germany with the diamond braid. But most people leave it au-natural. I do knwo of some people though that do cut the mane short aso its about 10cms long so they can braid it.

Waiting for Information...

I email the USDF and AHSA/ USA Equestrian, so hopefully I'll get a reply concerning the legality of these braids. I'll be sure to post as soon as I get a response from them!

Anybody else have show names?

well since Haflingers originated in Austria how about an Austrian name>?

Edelweiss: the national flower (pronounced Aid-el-vice)

Vienna: the capital of Austria

Salzburg: a beautiful Austrian town

Schilling: the currency

Groschen: also the currency (lol)

Let us know when you think of something

And please please please DO NOT pull the mane or tail.....Some people think that all horses should be treated like thoroughbreds/warmbloods with pulled manes and tails, when the actual BREED does not allow for this. I am at a loss when it comes to turnout for dressage with native breeds, but in showing them it is a must to leave them natural....so don't listen to some stubborn peoples advice on pulling and banging a horses tail just for the "look" especially with a native pony.

even though schilling is the cunrrecny i do like the name for a haflinger :)

Schilling.

Sccchhhil-ling :D

dont you knwo any native haflinger wesbites? you could probably pinch a name from there but i like schilling

newrider.com