Quantum Savvy - Advice/Tips Please

sjp1

Sep 14, 2009
I have a 15.3 appaloosa who was cut very late. The dealer I bought him from disliked him intensely - most of her horses came from Ireland and were respectful and did as they were told. Toby is an appaloosa - very bright, very strong and very brave and just 6 - I bought him rising 5. Mostly out riding he is a gem - canters with with friends horse first or last, over moors and then comes straight back down again, BUT when told off, he gets very nasty - farrier (who is tiny girl he can pick up by her apron) told him off and he lashed out. He doesn't seem to like my friend at all (we keep our horses together at DIY - just us), and last Saturday when I was away and she went into the field he kind of attacked her, so much so, she curled up in a ball on the floor. He doesn't do this with me, but last year he bit her really badly on her arm. I don't know why he behaves like this with her. My father who ranched in South America suggested a stock whip, but I am just not like that - he and I get on fine, and when on occasion he is difficult on the ground, unless we are in the stable, I do win and have no real problems - do you think Quantum Savvy would be helpful to him? If told off in the stable he has presented his bottom to me but never kicked out. However, he is very vocal about what he does and doesn't like - girthing was an issue until we changed girths - he cow kicked at me and meant it. Have dealt and had horses forever, including ex racehorses and never quite met anyone as determined as him. What do you rec?

Ive not done QS, but I use a home made version of join up - sending her away until she will be friends on my terms - to great effect with rude bolshy mare.

That said, this does make me query if there is some past issue or a something friend does that upsets him - perhaps something has happened when you havent been there? Sorry If over stepped the line, but there is rarely not a reason for this behaviour - they dont do it for the sakes of it.

In a word - Yes!! Arnie had me terrorised. To be fair, he never actually hurt me but he used to rear in hand and threaten me. He also kicked my friends horses (multiple:eek:) under saddle.

I started doing QS and things started coming right. I'm not as dedicated as Laceyfreckle (she is turning into the resident expert) but it really does work.

Its very similar to Parelli but both LF and I use it as a means to an end:D. Both of us want to do "normal" things with our horses, wee shows, bit of jumping, maybe even the odd dressage test and these things are all becoming possible now that Arnie and I have got the ground rules sussed!

The QS "gurus", Shane and Meredith Ransley, are coming over this summer to the UK. If you get a chance to see Shane in action, take it! He just sort of stands there doing nothing and suddenly horses do exactly what he wants:D. He is really marvellous (can you tell I'm a fan:eek:). I went to one of their clinics last year and had a ball (in fact, hold on and I'll link you to my thread http://www.newrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198947 ).

Hope this helps:D

I'm not as dedicated as Laceyfreckle (she is turning into the resident expert) but it really does work.

PMSL not so sure about that lol.

I suppose for me it had come to a stage of 'do i keep him or not' as he (Harvey) had successfully got rid of a few helpers and a sharer or two. He was threatening and difficult to handle and unpredictable under saddle. I COULD ride and handle him but I always had to be on the ball and it was hard work, not relaxing. Other people hated handling him and he did attack and draw blood on a sharers arm and chased another helper around the field when she went to catch him and also kicked out at them when they did his rug.

Anyway I joined QS and it did start to work! Now he is fairly easy to handle and ride. So much so that my 3yr old, 4yr old and 11yr olds rides him sometimes now. We've also been to a few 'parties' including local showing successfully, we're off to SJ next week and dressage in three weeks.
(Don't get too excited lol SJ starts at 6" and the dressage is a intro walk/trot one lol.)

I am studying level 2 at QS at the moment and only joined in August last year.

So yes, I think it could help

Where abouts in the UK are you? I run a practise group so if you wanted to come along you;d be more then welcome.

Oooh, how exciting. I am in Devon so too far away really lacey freckle which is a shame, but think I will look into QS. I sorted his loading problems by watching the Monty Roberts Youtube video so I really do believe in natural horsemanship. My problem is time really - I work full time, partner has over 1000 ewes and duck as well so most of my weekends at the moment are full of helping him - house as you can imagine is a tip as is garden and now the flies are out, friend and I are at the yard by 6am in the morning at the weekend if we want to ride. Realistically how much time do you suppose I would need to put in with him a day with QS?

Oooh, how exciting. I am in Devon so too far away really lacey freckle which is a shame, but think I will look into QS. I sorted his loading problems by watching the Monty Roberts Youtube video so I really do believe in natural horsemanship. My problem is time really - I work full time, partner has over 1000 ewes and duck as well so most of my weekends at the moment are full of helping him - house as you can imagine is a tip as is garden and now the flies are out, friend and I are at the yard by 6am in the morning at the weekend if we want to ride. Realistically how much time do you suppose I would need to put in with him a day with QS?

As little or as much as you want. If you follow the programme and want to do the homework sheets and assignments too then most parts of the homework can be ppractised within say 5-10mins so even if you only tick off one box every other day then you'll still get there! (so 5-10mins every other day) If you have longer you could do more and tick more boxes off. It doesn't matter how long it takes for you to get there especially as a lot of us at QS (such as me and skippy) also do the 'normal' things too and add QS to it.

I never really do more then a hour of QS a day at home, but it depends what other things I have on as like you I'm quite busy. (have 5 children aged 22months, 3yrs, 4yrs, 8yrs and 11yrs) and help my husband who runs his own building/electrics business.)

I hope you do decided to give things ago :) Devon is quite a long way from me! Are you near Newforest on here? she does a lot of NH with her pony too andd lives in Devon (i think)

Have decided QS may be the way to go - I have googled it but there doesn't seem to be a UK site for it - is it best to opt for the monthly payment which is USA based? Sorry, probably having a blonde moment:confused:

Join the website www.quantumsavvy.com as a 'free' member. It's a Australian based site. That will give you access to parts of the forum for you to look at for free :)

If you want to join then yes most people join as a monthly member because then you can unjoin when ever you want to. I have paid yearly for mine though. I used a currency converter to see what it was in UK £. think it;s just over £11 a month. You can pay by paypal which solves the problem of currency.

I think if you join atm then they send you the first part of level 1 for free. Most of us then buy the packs from www.horseandharmony.co.uk because then you don't have to worry about paying customs and it gets to you quicker.

Hope that helps a little bit...remember to say hello to me on there! (I'm Harvestmoon on there)

:)

newrider.com