Qod?

Tina2011

Mar 23, 2012
Gateway to europe
Whats happened to question of the day. Can anyone think of one? All I can think of is when is this weather gonna clear up but thats too depressing, so any ideas anyone?

Well here's one, following on from the lunging thread ... People who lunge without a whip: how do they communicate with the horse? Waving their arms, pointing their fingers, body language, voice? I find the lunge whip communicates very precisely - I'd be lost without it, even though I use most of the other things too...

Well here's one, following on from the lunging thread ... People who lunge without a whip: how do they communicate with the horse? Waving their arms, pointing their fingers, body language, voice? I find the lunge whip communicates very precisely - I'd be lost without it, even though I use most of the other things too...

Voice commands and gentle wiggling of the rope help Storm to understand what I'm asking. Also body language. Eg, if I become "stiller" and turn slightly she copies this. She also knows when I want a change of direction as I generally ask verbally and then relax my posture so she comes in towards me.

I'm waiting for someone to ask about the good bits and the bad bits because I've certainly had an eventful year!!! :giggle:

Voice. Horses should know, walk, trot, canter, woah on command if I am lunging. Click to quicken pace, 'steady' to steady pace. :)

I have to have a whip or use the end of the lunge line to keep her, 'in the triangle'

If I tried the shoulders and arms thing, Cherie would take one look at me and totally ignore or do what she liked.

Some very experienced friends once tried 'join up' with her in a round pen when I was away on holiday. She totally ignored them and they gave up in the end.

Of course if Monty Roberts came a long, she would sense it immediately and do whatever he asked:giggle:.

I suspect she would give Pat Parelli and his wife a run for their money.

newrider.com