QOD - Where in the world?

LBrider

Nov 7, 2010
Suffolk
So, just go along with this scenario for a moment...

The UK is shutting down. The authorities have deemed it to be useless, with rubbish weather etc, and are turning off the lights next week. The government has asked everyone to choose another country to emigrate to, where they must remain for the rest of their days - the government will pay removal costs etc and you will be provided with housing. (NR peeps in France, the US, New Zealand etc imagine it's your country shutting down.)

So where are you going to go? Why? What would be the advantages? What would be the drawbacks?

Off you go.......:smile:

Australia....hands down.

Why? Because I love it, excellent standard of living, great life style and great weather.
Advantages - weather, activities (horse riding, surfing, diving, kayaking...the list goes on), good economy, plenty jobs
Drawbacks - sharks, spiders, snakes and crocodiles....but I'm willing to take my chances

Good thread!

Jersey or Guernsey?! Lol they don't count as foreign tho?!! Shetland?!! I am sorry to say not many places appeal other than good old Blightylol! I think the culture shock would be too much for me, regardless of super weather..... I guess if really pushed then Las Vegas will have to do - been there, loved it.

New Zealand.. I visited NZ about 4 years ago now & fell in love the country. I love the wildness of South Island & would love to live in Queenstown . It's such a beautiful country, plus the seasons are similar to ours,it doesn't get too hot like in Australia.

I'd also be able to holiday in Australia as its just a 2.5 hour flight away.
As much as I liked Australia - it's too hot for me & a little too vast. If I had to live in Australia I'd choose Melbourne as the place to live.

I would ignore them and carry on, just like my ancestors have been doing for centuries.

I can't really think of anywhere I would like to go tbh unless I was shoved.

California, my OH worked out there for 18 months and I jumped back and forth spending 5 - 6 months in total of it in between mucking out through the winter here and I really enjoyed my time out there..

The big disadvantage been that aside from the US economy California as a state is in a bit of a bad way with debt at the moment.. The distance home, though of course this would now be irrelevant if my family had all upped and headed off too?!

Advantages - the shopping, I did a lot of that, the cost of living, I didn't work even for the long summer I was out and despite travelling about to see everything we still lived very comfortably off my OH wage, the great outdoors, I could never tire of walking in Yosemite or Tahoe or driving along the pacific coast... The weather, although I understand, though missed it on my trips that our part of CA was very wet in feb and march but I could put up with that for the hot summers.

Either Canada - the far North.. or the South of France - they have the weather we 'used' to have here :biggrin:

(they as in the French)

Last edited:
Canada no real reason just like the look of it.
Though their winters won't be what I am used to, they DO cope unlike the UK that doesn't.

I do struggle to see how snow prevents us doing things when you have countries that live in the bloody stuff most of the year. They must laugh at us.

I'm with Trewsers on this, Jersey or Guernsey would be very acceptable, especially as I wouldn't have to learn another language and the weather would be a zillion times better than Ireland.

I also quite fancy the idea of New Zealand. When I was a child one of my brothers and I used to daydream about living there when we grew up and riding our horses all over the beautiful countryside in glorious weather? I have absolutely no idea where that notion came from though? Maybe a childhood book or something long forgotten?:unsure:

I would ignore them and carry on, just like my ancestors have been doing for centuries.

I can't really think of anywhere I would like to go tbh unless I was shoved.

I'm with you!don't want to go anywhere else I'd claim squatters rights and live like a hermit on my own in the uk I love it here!if i could choose somewhere here I'd be off to the isle of sky!

California as loved it on driving holiday with hubby but would have to be the Santa Rosa area with the wineries and cheese factories and ranches :wink:

The advantage would be living on a ranch with cowboys and hacking across my winelands in the sunshine without snow or mud in sight :dance:

The drawback would be missing family and friends and getting horses there :cry:

Hmmm I guess south west Wales is out? Or the Western Isles?
Ok as I'm not well travelled I think I'd have to go for one of the Greek islands, assuming they hadn't shut down too!
Maybe Zante, Cephalonia or Skiathos for me, warm but green and pleasant and I love Greek food.

newrider.com