QOD 22/02/2013 - What Do You Think of Award Ceremonies Within the Entertainment World

Flipo's Mum

Heavy owner of a Heavy
Aug 17, 2009
Perthshire, Scotland
Do these people not earn enough already, that we need to reward them with expensive evenings like the Brit awards or Oscars, where they get to pat each other on the back? Are these people not living in the real world where doctors, nurses and care staff do life saving work every day and don't have a little rewards bash at the end of it to boost their egos even further.

I think they serve a purpose which is to entertain the masses. I think its light hearted fun and we need light hearted entertainment in this world we live in.

Do celebs/artists live in the real world?

No course not..they live in a bizarre , sheltered and very stressful world (if watching the big reunion and the numerous celeb melt downs are anything to go by). Its not for me thats for sure (although 10 years ago i was all for wanting to go in the BB house:redface:).

Those in the care profession, the army, navy etc are of course our unsung heroes in our world . It is unfortunate that these professions get overlooked by celebs and footballers but thats life (sadly)..

I think they serve a purpose too, to get the public interest and make more money! If they didn't in someway pay for themselves then they wouldn't happen.

Bugs me that actors or musicians or businessmen are given gongs for services to music or entertainment or business. Yes give then gongs for charity work, but not for just doing their jobs.

I am not in the slightest entertained by the ridiculous old tosh they spew out at award ceremonies. The voting appears to be largely political or old boy network led, nothing of interest actually happens and I could not care less about who wore what. I think it's ridiculous people going through an utterly fake pageant for no discernible reason.
Can you guess I'm not a fan? ;)

I don't take an interest in them,their been awarded for doing a job they chose to do yes but I think nurses,doctors,carers,charity workers and the like should be the ones that are recognised and taken more into account,all the bloody money spent on celebs is ridiculous then you have nursing home staff on min wage and not so much as thank you well done,backwards in my opinion.

It all just seems a bit wrong to have some huge named actor playing the part of some real life hero, and the actor gets paid more, gets more adulation and wins a bloody oscar for something they faked.

I appreciate the entertainment industy serves to distract us all from the dreary lives we lead, i appreciate that this is why there's alot of money to be made in this sector. But what I don't appreciate, is the fact that we have to all perform a love in for them. Spend the money on something else for godsake, I don't care who won 'Best Newcomer with a Butt to Die For'

I used to LOVE the Brit awards when I was younger. My sister and I used to read 'Smash Hits' and loved all the build up to it.

I think that it's a good thing for kids to watch - to show that you get rewarded for being the best at something, and that if you work hard then you achieve things. The live music at the Brits is always good - as we don't have Top of the Pops these days, there are not that many opportunities to see live acts on TV.

I don't watch them but I think they are ok and why shouldn't there be some recognition if you have done something well? - made a good film, written a good album? I think a bit of healthy competition is good!

In the last few months my OHs gran has attended an award ceremony by the BBC and won an award for work in the local neighbourhood and my step dad has been to an awards evening for donating about a million pints of blood so there are similar events for us normal people out there too who are also been recognised for doing something well..

I do however think there are too many - like one for films would be enough and one for music rather than oscars and golden globes, baftas etc etc..

Never, ever watch anything like that. Load of old luvvies congratulating each other on how marvelous they are IMO. I can name at least a handful of people I know personally who thoroughly deserve a gong, and do what they do without fanfare or fame. 'nuff said!:smile:

Who are the actual voters lol? no one has ever asked me my opinion:giggle:

It just turns up on the box, load of old 'who the hell is that?' Some presenter (the popular nit wit of the time) shows up with lots of over confidence, telling us this that , who or she is the 'bees knees' really? I switch off.

newrider.com