QOD 21/01/2013 - How Long Have You Worked Where You Work?

Flipo's Mum

Heavy owner of a Heavy
Aug 17, 2009
Perthshire, Scotland
So work themed today - bleugh!! Monday morning and all that!

How long have you been with your current employer (including any job changes within that company)?
Do you tend to bed hop, or are you pretty loyal? Why did you last move jobs/ employers?

Do you think its better to stick with a company for a long time, being that the financial climate is as it is, and loyalty pays in promotions, or do you believe its best to switch jobs every couple of years to keep things fresh?

Im self employed and have been for just over 5 years now, in the same line. During that time I have also taken on a 2nd role, starting a charity which I now get paid for managing. This is possibly the longest I have ever been in one partiucalr role but thats because i get to make the rules!
Historically I have moved every couple of years, if not more, as I get bored easily!

I've been here 5 years with 3 hops up the ladder. Unfortunately in public sector loyalty doesn't mean promotions you just have to hope a job comes up and apply for it alongside everyone else.

It's a good, secure job with a good work/life balance though, so I'm pretty content. I wouldn't go anywhere else unless it meant a substantial pay rise and/or lifestyle change.

This was my first proper job out of uni so no previous jobs.

I will have been here 4 years in March, with one role change. I work for my Dad's company and it was only supposed to be a stop gap between jobs as I was always adamant I wasn't going to join the family business!! ho hum! :rolleyes: I actually really enjoy it now, everyone gets along I've known most of them for most of my life so it's a real relaxed family environment.

I used to live in Warwickshire working in sales for a well known Equestrian brand! I did love my job there but progression was very slow and I got bored after a couple of years in the same role. So I came home, also to be closer to OH as well.

I've been here 4 months. The past few years I have changed jobs once a year!

2009 - I left my job in a clothes shop (had been there for 5 years) for a better paid retail job closer to home. I could get more hours that would fit around uni so it was really a no-brainer. I went full time there when I graduated in June but found a new job in November.

2010 - left the retail job for a job in research related to my degree - unfortunately it was just a temp contract so it was due to end Nov 2011

2011 - found a new job in industry in Sept. Turned out not to be what I expected- too stressful, too much overtime, no thanks... I hated it and was horribly down working there so was on the hunt for a new job.

2012 - found this job in Sept. I'm back in research where I am happy and I have a permanent contract :)

So it sounds like I've moved around a lot for the past few years but really there was only one job I left because I hated it! The rest were all because I needed to move on (due to graduation or end of contract). I plan on staying in this one as long as I can!

I was made redundant just before I found out I was pregnant as the last company I worked for failed nationwide. That was 11 years ago. Since then I've developed property, been a landlady and done a lot of voluntary work. I've never returned to working for someone else and never want to again.

I'd been in the job prior to that one for 5 years but the majority was part time as it was whilst I was at university.

Before that, I'd never gone much more than about 18-24 months tops with 3 redundancies in amongst that.

I get very easily bored very quickly once I've mastered a job so if i did have to return to working for a company, unless there's a lot to the job then ideally I'd keep moving on regularly. I'm very highly motivated to be hardworking and the best i can be at what I do, but once I achieve that the challenge has gone so unless promotion or an internal move was imminent then I'd look to go elsewhere.

If I had to return to working for someone else I'd have several part time jobs. This year, I'm setting up a business and will be working for myself.

My hubby is the opposite of me. He's only ever had 2 jobs since leaving school 22 years ago. His job is project managing numerous projects and is mostly site based as he said he couldn't stomach a predictable 9-5 desk job.

I am SE supporting two young lads with LD who live with us but don't really count that as work, they are more part of the family, I also have a part time job two days a week which I absolutely love and have been there 9 years and have been promoted three times :smile: also support OH and daughter in family business with all the admin +++! Pretty happy with my lot and no plans to change anything :smile:

Loyalty to my boss maybe, I have been in the current job for just over two years.. But I have worked with one of our directors (and actually some of the other staff) since graduating 9 years ago and joining his team at our old company. They left the company we all worked for to set up their own, I was made redundant and then I asked for a job 18 months later with their new company once I had done a stint at a local authority and abroad.

The drawback is sometimes I think they forget I have actually been around for as long as I have and I know a little more than I did 9 years ago but most of the time I like my job!! They reckon in my industry you need to swap jobs to keep progressing but I think that's if you're in a rush to get somewhere, loyalty seems to work ok too.. We do a lot of site work and so two weeks are never the same which I think helps stopping people getting bored!

Last edited:
I've been working for the same company since I left Uni (did a summer placement between my 2nd and 3rd years in Uni and they kept a trainer job for me when I graduated), so about 9 years total.

I moved up to wolverhampton 5 years ago, but remained working for the company as a remote worker.

I had intended on moving companies after moving to wolverhampton but I have it cushy working from home and getting paid way too much compared to other companies!

I left school at 16yrs and did an apprenticeship within Education which led to a permanent job. I stayed there for 9yrs once my apprenticeship finished moving about roles with more responsibility, i loved my job!

I met my partner and ended up relocating but was lucky to land a similar job earning more money. I have been here 5 years and been regarded 3 times.

Would love to work for myself but i don't have any capital at the moment to do that :-(

I've been at the RNLI for nearly 6 years, in two separate roles. My first job here I was in for 9 months before landing the job I'm in now. I've wanted to move on to bigger & better things, I've job shadowed & gained experienced but never been successful in any internal applications. But there is also a part of me that wants to stay loyal to the project I've been with for the last 5 years and in some ways now I'm glad I didn't move on. I've made this job my own & I do many things that other adminstrators don't get to be invovled with. This job is also long term temporary so won't last forever as it is - I've probably another year or so before they won't need me.

Up until a year ago I also worked part time at weekends for South Western Ambulance Service (for the out of hours doctors). There wasn't much in the way of promotion there but I enjoyed the pressure, fast paced, continually changing environment - it kept me on my toes & the pay wasn't bad but I didn't enjoy working 2 jobs & having very little time off. It wasn't fair most other people got to enjoy every weekend off! But I continued with it until I didn't really need the money anymore - yes it's financially tight but we get by.

This year however there will be big changes for me. I too am embarking in starting my own business, I'm currently involved in a program which will get me established and my aim is by the end of 2013 to be 100% self employed, standing on my own two feet making profit.

Never again will I work for the NHS.

Traditionally I have moved every 2/3 years as I get bored easily and want to progress up the ladder along with an increase in salary. However I quit work after I had my daughter but when she was 2 I knew I wanted to go back as I missed the mental stimulation, I should have been studying but I only did part of the qualification :eek: I went back to work part time and the plan is to stay part time until my daughter is at full time school.

I recently resigned as I had another job offer, however when I went to do the resignation my boss tried to talk me out of and has offered me more days at home to work so I can be around more for my daughter, but he needs to have it signed off by HR, in theory my job is very very safe with the company I work for as we are the largest of it's kind in the world. They have paid for my further studies and I know I could progress my career there but still the work load to what I am supposed to be doing is flippin annoying at times. We shall see what happens in the next week or two ...

Given what I do for a living, I could go SE now, but I just don't want to and know that I would be a bit lonely, as I do enjoy working in the office and meeting other people. Plus there are SO many of my kind around that I know I probably couldn't make as much as I do being employed elsewhere.

Last edited:
I generally hate work and get extremelly bored and it totally 'gets in the way'.

I did work once, in finance for various companies (two major banks) full time for 15 years.

When I had my son I became a full time housewife, which I love, been doing it for 24 years.

A long side this I had a part time job for 14 years as a housekeeper/pet sitter/babysitter which I loved as well. (kids all grown up now so I am not needed unfortunately). Also helped run my husbands business doing the paper work/tax etc. Worked at various stables part time, riding schools/livery yards/retirement yards and racing.

Last year I had a little cleaning job for a while and was made redundant.

Twiddling my thumbs atm and wondering what to do next. I have to do something soon as I have ziltch money, what a pain lol.

I notice 2 - 3 years crops up a lot here as the time spent in one job. Back when I was young, when dinosaurs roamed the earth, this was considered an unfeasibly short time to stay in a job, as I did, and meant I was seen as something of a 'flibbertygibbet'. Now I think it's accepted as the norm.

I have been at my current place since spring 2008. Got made redundant in the December but went back in January on a self employed basis, where I have been ever since working part time. Means of course I don't get sickness or holidays or any other benefits but I love the freedom, and it means I can set up another little business on the side which I intend to do over the next few months.

I started working for an Insurance Company in 1989 :frown: We have since merged with a Bank and Building Society but I am still currently working on the same floor that I started on 24 years ago.

I have had numerous promotions but currently working in a Project team which gives me the variety I enjoy.

Before I started working with horses I had part-time (weekend) jobs and did stuff with temping agencies, so that was all short-term. I worked in my parents' shop for 4 years but don't think that counts as it was just something that was expected of me rather than an official job!

I've been here 2 years and 2 weeks, which is this is the longest I've been in one place. Previous job I had for 18 months, one before that was just under 2 years, one before that was an 8-month contract and the one before that was a 4-month summer position. For me changing jobs has always meant changing country so it is always very exciting going somewhere new! I usually do it because of itchy feet rather than lack of job satisfaction. None of my groom jobs have offered the chance for advancement/promotion as I have always been the sole staff member working alongside the yard manager and no other roles have been available!

I've been working for the same company for almost 12 years. I'm fiercely loyal and my perception is that to be moving constantly around, means that you appear flaky and uncommitted.

I'm starting to learn that actually, it can also be perceived as complacent and lazy not to move on or try for something better.

Its not an easy job market is it, but I guess folk are still getting jobs!

I've been in the same Local Authority for 12 years, 13 later this year!

Started as a trainee and am now as high as I can go withough being fully qualified (accountant), which I don't want to do so I am happy where I am for now. I have been in my current position 2.5 years.

Ideally I would like to switch career to something more equine or outdoorsy or more peopley but unless I come up on the pools I need my job to pay the bills/horse bills! I do like working in the public sector, would not move to private sector but would consider charity/not for profit for the right job.

Before that I worked in an old peoples home whilst at college for about 5 years. I did enjoy that in a way and wonder if that is a direction I could go back to maybe in management? Only trouble is it's all private firms now!

I have almost finished a general management qualification (ILM) at work so that should be another string to my bow.

Am also aiming to get BHS AI. I have my Stage 3 riding, lunging and PTT left to do. Been doing that on and off since 2006 as money/time allows.

In all honesty I cannot see myself doing another 30 years in finance...

newrider.com