Puzzle update

bitsnpieces

Aug 22, 2007
I rode today now Puz has been on bute for more than 24hrs,we only walked but a reasonably hilly route. This was the same hack we did last Friday when she was incredibly reluctant and generally not up for it.

I called her in the field and just watching her walking down the field I could see that her big cheery walk was right back. Out hacking she was striding out, her eyes looked alert and interested, she lead the whole way even over the stony path which she was nigh on refusing to go down before. A few times when she knew we were turning for home she actually kept pulling to carrying on going futher!!!

She has had a few days off so I'm reserving my full judgement for a few days but she did have a few days off last week (before the bute) and it made no difference - so I am erring on the side of thinking that she has been in some pain and the bute is helping.

Also, her blood test for Cushings came back negative - so one possibility to strike off the list :smile:

I think her hocks look less swollen but didn't get a chance to have a proper poke, so will take a closer look tomorrow.

So pleased she is feeling better and the cushings test was negative. These horses do like to cause us lots of worry though:stomp: Hope she continues to be striding out:biggrin:

Thanks guys, the vet has said that if the bute does make a big difference to her, then she can arrange for a permanent prescriptions if that's what I'd like to do.

I'm not overly keen on the idea of keeping her permanently on bute because of the long time effects - so I'll try and investigate every supplemental/homeopathic alternatives - but obviously if none of these work and bute is the only option then she'll probably go onto one sachet a day.

In terms of finding out exactly what is uncomfortable I'm not really sure where to start, I think it's in her hocks, but she isn't lame enough for nerve blocking to locate the discomfort - am wondering whether it's worth getting x-rays done?

Sounding positive then! HOpe she continues to do well. Would also definitely consider a joint supplement, but then your vet may already have suggested this.

Bnp can't remember is she barefoot or shod? Madam has been incredibly stiff recently but not footy - she is the same on all surfaces. Bowen helped massively but I have managed to find hoof boots to fit and she is like tigger in them - I think the ground is just too hard and making her stiff to compound the auto immune joint rheumatoid arthritis

Hard ground has had a lot to answer to, our Mare, 20 and semi retired has just thrown a splint, now has matching on both fronts - not bothering her at all - but it can only be the hard ground conditions that have caused it.

she has had mild arthritic changes for a number of years now, she has been on Easyjoint (Glucosomine based) and it keeps her moving freely 99% of the time, if taken off you see the difference within days.

She has never had bute but if things changed and had explored every other avenue and it was necessary for her quality of life then I would use it, a Gelding (25) on our yard has navicular and has been on daily bute for at least the last 6years - no ill effects have been seen.

newrider.com