Putting rugs on wet horses

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Do you?

My general rule of thumb is not to rug Jess unless its really cold (freezing) or cold/wet or wet/windy and staying that way for a few days. Hank is normally fine as he grows a coat like a yak and he's smart and will get himself out of the weather which Jess won't do.

It was forecast to rain a lot last night, Jess is slim and still doesn't have much coat and the mozzies were out and a wet fly rug would have been miserable so I popped a rain sheet on her even though it was 12 degrees.

This morning I was faced with the do I, don't I dilemma, its meant to reach 15c today but rain and wind all day, tonight is meant to be 10c and rainy/windy, tomorrow this storm is meant to pick up so wet and extra windy and I really don't like putting rugs on wet horses...I've seen so many get rain scald/rot from it in warmer weather.

I made that mistake this year, with the very wet and windy weather but warm temperatures, I was also in a dilemma with my wee oldie if I should rug him or not. I rugged him in a rain sheet but the rain was so heavy it went through. I put a heavier rug on to stand up to the rain and he has rain scald on his neck for the first time ever :( It didn't have a neck on it but I think he has sweated as he has very thick hair around his neck area and then he has scratched up against the fence and managed to cut himself which has allowed for the rain scald to set in. I am trying to go against my strong urge to rug him no matter how wet it gets until the temps really drop. Treating the rain scald with Shapleys M.T.G.,.it stinks :rolleyes:

I made that mistake this year, with the very wet and windy weather but warm temperatures, I was also in a dilemma with my wee oldie if I should rug him or not. I rugged him in a rain sheet but the rain was so heavy it went through. I put a heavier rug on to stand up to the rain and he has rain scald on his neck for the first time ever :( It didn't have a neck on it but I think he has sweated as he has very thick hair around his neck area and then he has scratched up against the fence and managed to cut himself which has allowed for the rain scald to set in. I am trying to go against my strong urge to rug him no matter how wet it gets until the temps really drop. Treating the rain scald with Shapleys M.T.G.,.it stinks :rolleyes:
Oh no, poor boy. It's so hard to know what's for the best though :(

Reactions: joellie
Have you got any straw? If your particularly concerned i pop straw along their backs on the work horses when its mild, they all live out and hunt etc so often sweaty. None are good at staying in and just sweat up more so best to get them back out asap. The straw does help dry out and gives some air circulation. It makes its way out under the rug but helos the initial dry off :)

Have you got any straw? If your particularly concerned i pop straw along their backs on the work horses when its mild, they all live out and hunt etc so often sweaty. None are good at staying in and just sweat up more so best to get them back out asap. The straw does help dry out and gives some air circulation. It makes its way out under the rug but helos the initial dry off :)
That's an old fashioned trick :) I hadn't thought about doing it, though I don't have straw but could get some.

Reactions: mystiquemalaika
Jessey I have used waterproof spray on one of Dolly's old Rambo sweet itch hoodys as this past few weeks have been so mild despite being wet. Still loads of midges around even on very wet and windy days - no idea how they fly in that weather. Anyway so far it has worked perfectly but due to torrential rain yesterday I did put her in her proper rain sheet. Trouble is it I is now absolutely filthy (Rambo one) and I am thinking when I have washed it I might have to spray it again.

Yes I've had to put a rug on a very wet Zi a lot. He shakes like Elvis even in warm temps like now (12) because the silly sausage stands outside like Romeo trying to get Storm's attention when she is in all night!! Haven't had any problems. He always looks so pleased to see a rug the big softy! (Never do the girls eye me with favour when they see a rug approaching but he adores his!!)

Reactions: Jessey
If Sox is very wet I will set him off or if I don't have time. I stick a fleece and a outdoor rug on and put him back out. With ginger it's Gail force winds here and he looked a little cold last night ( he killed his fleece) so he has bee naked on a night. He is fully clipped but I think I will keep him in his lightweight for now

newrider.com