Put the harness on today

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
I put the harness on billy for the first time since last march. No kicking out today. I'm so relieved.
When I put it on him last February after 2 months break from driving and his first time with me harnessing up since buying him, he had melt down and started kicking out with the breaching and crupper. Not at all what I expected considering he was suppose to have done more driving than riding. I put it on him again a month later and he still didn't seem happy. I decided to let him mature and just work on the riding for the year. He still doesn't seem happy in heavy traffic being ridden now so I'm not happy to drive him on the road.
I did long reined him on the road a few times without harness but I have less control than riding. My plan is to start doing some long reining in harness in readiness to drive him. My goal is to be driving him by the end of the year.
For now I'm just happy that today I have taken the first step to getting him driving again.

Reactions: Wally
Just a thought reading this about his spookyness in traffic, if he's been driven more than ridden would he have done all his driving in blinkers? You might find he's used to hearing the traffic and big things but hasn't seen it before and thats why he's reacting so much to it. You might find once the blinkers go on he is much better on the roads.

My neighbours horse was backed/ridden in 2015 and he was great with traffic, then went to learn to drive in early 2016, at first they couldn't get him to settle in blinkers, he would try to turn to look at things or shoot off, then when he came home he couldn't settle without them if anything was behind him he got very upset, prancy, spinny, after a summer of doing both he's now good either way :) he's the most laid back cob, all the sillyness was totally out of character for him.

I think it is because he's young and still needs to mature. The person that broke him does quite a bit of breaking to drive so probably gave him confidence on the road. I might try blinkers and long rein on the road, it's worth a go.
I'm going to try to harness once a week till end of Feb, then up it once nights draw out.
I do have the option to take him over to the person who broke him to put him to the carriage when I'm ready, but I want to spend time doing long rein groundwork so I know he listens to me.

Reactions: Jessey
I know nothing about driving, but wanted to say good luck and hope it all continues to go well. And pictures would be nice :)

newrider.com