Protecting mane from rug rub??

tiga

Oct 29, 2007
Brighton, East Sussex
Izzy's mane is kind of two lengths and I thought he must have rubbed it before I got him. But I found out at the weekend it was from his mane being rubbed by his neck cover on his winter rug.

I want to prevent this happening this winter as much as possible. He looks so lovely with his long mane but I am going to pull it so it is more or less the same length and then grow it back out. But what is the best way of stopping the neck cover rubbing his mane? Would one of those stretchy hoods do it?

This pic shows what I mean.
Izzyintack.jpg

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:
A friend who used to show Haffys swears by attaching an old nylon half underslip (about 75p in charity shops) to the inside of the neck. I had a similar disappointment last winter, so I'm going to give it a go this year!

Don't know how your gelding would feel wearing a lace trimmed underskirt though! :cool:

Thanks. I have no idea what a half underslip is! Will have to ask my mum.

I don't think he'll be too bothered with the lacy underwear on his neck - as long as I give him some carrots when I put it on!

Otherwise I will go the lycra hoody route.

Cheers - hopefully next summer he will have a lovely mane that's all one length ish.:rolleyes:

I get it without the neck - its the seam...

I find the furry wither bit usually poses problems for long manes too.
For that, rugs like the horseware and premier equine are particularly good.
You might also want to consider only buying rugs with slippery nylon lining as opposed to brushed cotton (the worst IMO on my WB taka). That's a nightmare for trapping and rubbing the mane ... :)

Why thank you Stormin... I think you have just given me an excuse to go rug shopping:D

His mane at his wither has been rubbed too.

I think I am also going to give the neck cover a miss unless it is really cold as well.

Off to do some rug shopping now!

Why thank you Stormin... I think you have just given me an excuse to go rug shopping:D

His mane at his wither has been rubbed too.

I think I am also going to give the neck cover a miss unless it is really cold as well.

Off to do some rug shopping now!

A pleasure, anytime :D
If you like neck covers, try to buy them "combined purchase" instead of trying to find a neck cover that matches but separate - it'll cost you a fortune.
PE are good for this, rambo and amigo too ;)

I've also found another culprit of wither-mane disappearance - mutual grooming :rolleyes:

The other thing may be how he rolls. Mine always had a thinner mane on the lower third section; watching her roll in the field, and realised she used her neck (and bum), specifically the lower third, to shift about & scratch her back whilst rolling. No amount of lycra hood or slik lining will protect against that.

Mimi loses the bottom third of her mane every winter, so a few years ago I bought one of those lycra hood things to try and stop it getting rubbed out. She wore it at all times and I thought I was doing well until about February time when it all fell out as usual. It didn't stop the rug from rubbing the mane out, it just seemed to delay the inevitable by a several weeks!

I think this year I might just hog the area of her mane which always gets rubbed out, just to save time. Since she's bound to lose it anyway I might as well get it over and done with :D

newrider.com