Protecting legs when turned out

nqt2003

May 30, 2006
Durham, North East
My horse had Mud fever - it is all cleared up and the hair is growing back. I had bought equi-chaps to use but they are too big. So until i get some smaller ones, i'm going back to putting cream on his legs.

I used to use Naf mud gard ointment, but wasn't too impressed. It was quit thin and didn't offer great protection for his legs. I decided to try something else, so got some muddy marvel barrier cream. Thought this looked good as it was thicker, but its rubbish!! The few times i've used it, its come off his legs by the time i get to the field!

I really don't want his mud fever to come back as it has taken a long time to get rid of it. So, until i can get some smaller boots, what do you recommend putting on his legs? One girl suggested baby oil - anyone used this? Does it really work?

try vaseline or petrolium jelly, its cheap, you can buy it anywhere, it stays on and it works :) brilliant stuff :)

These people are giving away free samples atm if you email... http://www.mudfever.net/.

I have used the spray on my boy's pasterns - he is out 24/7, but if I ever get a dry day, I spray, massage in and leave. He is free of scabs just now so either it's a good field or the stuff works ;) It's an oil based spray - you have to give it a good shake before use.

ETA I've just looked at website and they seem to have discontinued the 100ml free sample, that's a pity...

I have pig oil to help Oscar's feathrs, on recommendation from this site, and I think that it is good for mud oil as well. It won't be as perfumed or expensive as baby oil.

I use Udder cream its brilliant, also use pig oil as he has quite a bit of feather and the mud just slides off!! both are cheap.

elvis fan - udder cream from any saddlery, look with all the lotions and potions stuff, lol, pig oil - dunno.

Mud fever i use a mixture of baby oil and vinegar. Its cheap and homemade :D I don't know if theres an exact ratio to use but i use about 60 BO and 40 V. I put it into an old mane and tail spray bottle and spray on legs everytime im there. He's not got mud fever so far this year! YAY. (I suppose it could be luck, lol)

If he has scabs or sores just use baby oil not vinegar for obvious reasons (burning... ahh)

Also i recommend clear vinegar as the brown stuff looks horrible in bottle. when sprayed you cannot tell (and i spray onto grey horse). your horses legs will smell of vinegar and your hands, lol, but its something i can live with to prevent mud fever.

At collage they were the boots which are good. i dont recommend wearing them in a sand arena though as they get sand in, rub, make it worse. Im only saying that as some people tried that at my college this year and lets just say they were a bit disapointed with the results, lol.

newrider.com