Pros and Cons of buying a horse from abroad...

What do you mean with 'if you could'? Like you had bunches of money and paying gazillions in shipping and vet cost wouldn't matter?

Hm. I guess I'd still be more inclined to buy something local but I am easy to please. I don't need any 'special orders'. If you ordered from abroad then my main obstacle would be money.
Paying that much for shipping means the horse itself would have to be worth lots, right?!

What do you mean with 'if you could'? Like you had bunches of money and paying gazillions in shipping and vet cost wouldn't matter?

I think that's part of what I meant but mostly if you would choose something local or if it was easier money-wise to get from abroad..but you answered that question. :) hehe.

Your right though the horse would definately have to be worth alot for me to get something from abroad...very expensive! :eek: ;)

Well it depends what type of horseperson you are.
Personally, I hate buying horses without riding, but I did one and never regretted it.

Buying from abroad is generally more expensive because you have to add an aditional 2-3k in shipping costs to the price of the horse.

But there are some INCREDIBLE horses available everyone, some places better then others. When I get enough money, Im looking at importing from Germany, just because their horseflesh is so much better then Canada's and reasonably priced...

Unless you wanted a certain breed or type which you dont find in ** country then maybe, but otherwise id stick to your own country. Bit dodgy to be honest - lol id never see a horse in france - i dont do french ill be just stood there thinking 'what?!!'
Would cost a hell of a lot of cash to transport them anyway - by the time the horse arrives home and it turns out to be not quite what you expected, well, you've blown it.
p.s can horses travel by plane?

X jenny X

ahh see you can buy a superstar for 50pence, you just have to have the know-how and luck!! ;) I remember reading an article in a horsey mag about how top riders had got their prized horses - one rider got their horse from a sale for something like £50...can't remember exactly.

If I was to win the lottery and look for another horse, I'd be looking for an andalusian...there are some breeders in the UK but I'd be prepared to look further afield - afterall I'd probably have my own private jet! xxx

I read that article too.

But of the 6million or whatever horses in the UK, I notice there was only about 8 stories in that article :p

I'd have a Hanoverian, probably from Germany or Holland and about 17hh +, a black blanket spotted weanling from anywhere to mature just over 15.2hh, an ugly ride and drive cob to plod about on anything from 14hh, a semi-retired jumping pony of 14.2hh to teach me how to jump better, and a couple of ponies.
Could be tempted by a Welsh Cob or Fell if it was showable, also tempted by a spanish horse and rare breeds - like Akhal Tekes (no idea what Id do with it. Let it stand in a field and be shiny I think.)
Then Id open a little rescue centre.

xxx

I'm really not going to go into what I'd do if I won the lottery...I'd be here for hours :rolleyes:

It is possible Talou to buy a decent enough horse for 2k here in the UK - you just need to know where to look, when to look, and again have some luck :) xxx

Jojoba said:
Let it stand in a field and be shiny

Lol :p Talou I thought there were a few egyptian breeds, are they not common? Someone on here has at least one, I can't think of the name though, they have heads like Ahkal Tekes (narrow noses) but are more hunter like in body... I remember thinking I had never heard of the breed before yet the person said they were quite common in egypt :confused:
I also thought, I gotta get me one of them :D

I have bought a horse from abroad. The reason I decided to buy Frits directly from The Netherlands is because there are very few friesians in Australia - when I was buying there were only about 90. I of course saw Frits myself and in the future when I want to buy some mares I will not hesitate to buy from The Netherlands or America. I was lucky that the breeder/agent that I bought Frits from was a nice guy and was full of advice, he insisted on showing me a few stallions so that I could see the difference in movements. I also contacted the Aussie friesian society for advice :)

If you do decided to buy a horse from abroad I would be inclined to go and see it for yourself or if you can't get there ask someone you trust to go and see the horse. Unfortunately there are some unsavory characters that will sell you your perfect horse only to for you to discover on delivery that you bought an ancient knocked kneed nag.

Good luck :)

One of the obvious cons is that if you and the horse don't get on, you can't really send him back, even if they offer to take him!

I would be very interested in viewing a horse abroad particularly if it was a warmblood type as I have heard that people import them and then add to the price to make a tidy profit, importing such a horse yourself would work out cheaper- but I'd need an expert with me who spoke the lingo and I trusted 100%!

No where near horse ownership status so the above all fantasy I'm afraid!

I *did* buy my horse from abroad:D OK, well France is only a short car journey from where I live in Switzerland, so I don't suppose it really counts.:p

My horse actually still lives in France for economic reasons - the liver there is so much cheaper than in Switzerland, plus I know he'll get a better standard of care (and the YO is my boss :rolleyes: )

Living in Europe I would certainly consider buying from another country, and I had sent emails to a stud in Germany to see if I could visit when I heard about Pinto.

You also have to bear in mind that when you import a horse, you may also have to pay import tax and other fees at the point of entry, so while you may think your horse is a bargain, by the time you add tax on, it may turn out to be more expensive (another reason why Pinto hasn't left France :p)

The reason I was asking about the price in the UK is because over here a decent horse would probably cost minimum L.E.29,000..if you're lucky. And a horse from UK that's 2000 pounds would cost L.E.22,000....feel free to correct if i'm mistaken. :eek:

My naive mind just assumed that if I got a horse from abroad it would be cheaper because when you add taxes and everything else to bring it over to Egypt, it would cost about L.E.29,000....just thought it would be saving some money. (Not including tack etc...) and hopefully getting a nice horse as a bonus! :D ;)

Lol, i'm probably making no sense right now.....it sounded right in my head though! :p

Rips, what breeds were you thinking of?..there are many..but i don't know their names.

Talou how about contacting a shipping agent. I used IRT and they were very helpful. I will PM you an e-mail address. E-mail them and ask how much it would cost to ship a horse from the UK to Egypt. They should give you the price which should including quarantine for the required amount. I am only basing this information on what I have experienced when I shipped Frits to Australia and Aus is a long way from most places ;) but it may give you a rough idea. Transport from the Egyptian quarantine to your livery stables may not be included in the shipping price, you will need to contact the Egyptian authorities about taxes etc. You will also need transit insurance.

Once you have a rough idea of the total cost of buying and shipping a horse to Egypt then you will see if it is going to be cost effective to buy a horse from abroad :)

Last edited:
newrider.com