Prophet’s thumb mark - anyone else got a horse with one?

neasham

Rach
Nov 20, 2006
N.Yorkshire
www.myspace.com
Hey all,

I just had the vet up to start Minke's vacs off and to give Quarry a booster jab and he pointed out that she has a Prophet’s thumb mark on her neck. I thought it was from a bite or something when she was just a foal but as the vet pointed out when you place your thumb on it it fits perfectly.

I've been reading up on them on the net and aparently they are meant to be lucky. This is what I found:

"A widespread belief tells of how any horse that has a groove in its neck is to be treasured and treated with great respect as it believed to come from a the line of horses that belonged to the Prophet Mahammed. If you can place your thumb gently into the groove on the neck, which is known as the 'Prophet's Thumb Print', then the horse is allegedly connected to one of the five brood mares that Mahommed owned, and therefore sacred. "

Anyone else got a horse or pony with one? or any stories? Would be great to hea!

My TB has one but we have always called them devils thumb prints. Never bothered to look it up as Grandad told us when we were kids that they were a sign of good breeding, wouldn't want to know he was fibbing because my Grandad was my hero!:D Actually have only ever seen them on TB's:eek:

Yeh I hadnt heard of one untill today. I will take a piccy tomorrow night when I go and give her her tea. I'm hoping now that when she eventually has a foal the friesian horse society will have the letter 'P' in the letters you can use to name the foals, would be great to be able to name the foal Prophet after her mark! :D

Huh.. One of mine had one of those.. I always thought it was something caused by a muscle damage.. :confused:

Never heard of Prophet's mark before.. He was a great horse though, maybe it really was a lucky mark! :)

Nina x

Mine has one, its quite small though and right in the groove on her neck so very unoticeable, they are quite common. I've seen a lot of TB's with them.

hey couldnt find any pics on the net but looking at a couple pics I had taken of her already you can see it in one (she wont be happy about me posting this mind...not her best photo! lol:D ):

l_f266283110abe6**8857d5dbd2ebae0a.jpg

My old boy had one too and he was a very special pony.
He was Arab X Welsh.

Am I right or wrong in thinking it is mostly TB's that have them??

yeh my vet said it was meant to be passed on to TB's from Arabs where it originated. Which I guess is how your boy got it if he was part Arab. I know also that years ago the friesian horse had Arabian blood in it but it lost the good points it had from that blood when it started to be bred for farming work...thats why some people are now crossing friesians with arabs to make arabo friesians which are better for competing (kinda taking the shortcut in what the purbred friesian breeders are slowly working towards!:rolleyes: ) so maybe its a sign that she is gonna be a very tallented young lady? :D we can hope anyway!

Daisy has one and so does Katey!
I am thinking that mostly TB's have them.

newrider.com