Proper solo hack with Harvey!

bluntcrayon

Oct 21, 2009
Chelmsford
V pleased :) Harvey and I went out on our own today properly and he was so good!! We have been out on our own once before, only went about 200m and he was a bit nervous and hesitant, clearly wanted to go home so I was expecting the same. But he was great! We went about 1km down the lane and apart from a little tantrum leaving the yard he was absolutely fine, didn't nap or try to turn for home, was forward going, we even had a couple of nice trots :) we turned round and headed for home and he was being so good decided to carry on past Claire's and go down the lane the other way. He didn't even try to turn in back to the yard and walked straight on, bless him, even though Victory and Amee were calling him. We met cars, walkers, man with dog, a scary flapping for sale sign that had come loose and he didn't bat an eyelid. Had a tiny spook at a UFO (unidentified frightening object) but that was it. In total we were out for for maybe 30-40 minutes. He got big cuddles and a whole apple to himself when we got back :)

Really pleased with him as Claire has never hacked him out alone (I think?) and we don't know if he's done it in the past so he could have been a total nightmare. I really hope the improvement from last time is because our relationship is getting better and he trusts me to look after him. He's just so laid back and a total confidence giver, I wasn't scared a bit and felt like he was enjoying himself noseying around the countryside (as opposed to schooling which he clearly hates as he just switches off).

Sorry bit of a pointless ramble and no pics to go with but expect plenty of ear shots to be posted soon!

Oh go on then here's an old pic of his gorgeousness:

19853_470393230322_722065322_106676.jpg

A big slap on the back for you both! Its such a lovely feeling when everything falls into place you feel so proud of yourself I reckon Harvey is beginning to trust you and you both give each other confidence. Hope this is the start of things to come.......when is your first sponsored ride then? !!

A big slap on the back for you both! Its such a lovely feeling when everything falls into place you feel so proud of yourself I reckon Harvey is beginning to trust you and you both give each other confidence. Hope this is the start of things to come.......when is your first sponsored ride then? !!

Thank you :) I really hope he is starting to trust me, I've been seeing him every weekend since Xmas so we are getting to know each other now. I do think he was happy to be out as he kept noseying at paths and tracks coming off the road and looking back at me as if to say 'let's go up there!'. Looking forward to exploring :)

Actually there are a couple of sponsored rides at the end of summer, Danbury and Highwood are both very near here...

http://www.essexbridleways.co.uk/html/events.html

Need to get a lot fitter before then but would be lovely to have that to aim for. Would you be interested?

He is gorgeous! Sounds like he was a very good boy and well done you - very brave. I am sure this is the first of many lovely hacks out together :D

Need to get a lot fitter before then but would be lovely to have that to aim for. Would you be interested?

Ah my days of sponsored rides are sadly over I think now. Della will be 30 in May so I would need to get her fit and then it all depends on the distance. Unfortunately I dont have my own transport any more. The only way I could do one is to share a horse box. Havent done a sponsored ride for AGES (about ten years or so) :( But I did love doing them and getting a rosette:)

Well done, no wonder you are chuffed with yourself and with Harvey. :) What a great achievement. I had some issues with hacking alone a while back, but having no-one to go out with I had to overcome my nerves or not ride. It's great to have the confidence to go out alone so you don't have to rely on always having company.

Harvey sounds like an absolute star considering he may not have hacked alone before, or not for a long time. He looks a lovely boy too. Sounds as if you were very lucky to find him and Clare.

newrider.com