Professional schooling (sorry long) - thoughts about when?

nicolaj

Mar 8, 2005
Sydney Australia
I had my horse up for sale, but no real serious calls. Basically he is a 6 year old, 15.3 cob who can be bolshy sometimes on the ground, but we've had a Kelly Marks RA out and that has really helped with a lot of those issues.

Basically I've now reached a point where he needs more work to help bring him on which I'm just not good enough to do, which is one of the reasons I was selling him, that I'm not good enough to bring out his full potential.

I've been out a tried a few horses, found a very nice potential but it failed the vetting. But the more you look, the more you wonder if you are doing the right thing by selling and should I get my current horse schooled professionally? Also for the money, there only appears to be young horses or veterans (sorry no offense to anybody with a horse of mature years!:p ) but you know what I mean. There are also some complete 'donkeys' as well which I've also tried! One was worse than I already had! They assured us it had done dressage and was schooled to do travers and such like, wouldn't even canter!!!!:eek:

Sorry back to my horsey - :rolleyes: He is good in walk although a bit slow, trots really nicely, canter is a bit hit and miss, he knows what to do, just hard work! I also think he has not been started properly, doesn't know how to lunge and other things, think because he is a quiet sort, they just brought him in and slapped a saddle on and got on with it! I'm having to teach him all of these things now and am slowly coming along. He is starting to accept the bit and contact and work with more forward, little way to go before we have a proper 'outline'.

He isn't nasty, malicious (SP), bit or kick just young sometimes. I've taken him to shows, and he hasn't really done anything too bad, good in traffic not so keen on the rustles in bushes!

So,

What I was planning to do was leave him over the winter to 'chill' out and relax as we have done a lot with him over the last few months, as he is only still young and bring him back into work about March, maybe then sending him to 'school'. I will book myself some lessons at a local riding school and get my own issues ironed out and then hopefully when he comes back we can get along better.

Or should I have him sent away now?

(The place I'm thinking of encourages you to come along and ride whilst the horse is there as well, which I think is good.)

My concern is by sending him now, is that the weather will just get worse and if I haven't got time to ride, then the lessons aren't going to be consolidated and 'kept up'. At least in the spring the nights get light so can ride in the evenings, plus I will have had time to work on my own riding, without worrying about how I'm affecting my own horsey.

Other views appreciated! Thanks for reading I know it was a bit long:D !!

My filly went off for backing/training last winter, she did 90 days with a good trainer (western) and while she was there I went a just watched and then had a couple of lessons before bringing her home, then did some work at home with her then had the trainer come out for a lesson to keep things ticking along. Then due to her young age turned her away until this weekend.

She went in mid november till february, then got turned away in march. I really liked how this worked out for me it meant that while she was at the trainer he took it a bit easier (I didn't want her back till spring), by the time she came home spring was just threatening to show itself and I was able to put some work into her. Then due her age, and growing out of her saddle and stuff she was turned away.

I rode her again Sunday, and she hasn't forgotten a thing :D

There is also alot to say for just getting a good instructor in more often to work with you both :eek:

Thanks Jessy.

I do have a good RI and we have regular lessons, just a lot has gone on in personal life which has taken it's toll confidence wise (wont bore you with it all)!

We have achieved a lot in the 12 months or so we've been having her come out, but I think we've just reached a block and I think he needs somebody more experienced to take him on a bit and get him over those 'blocks' that I've probably created!

There is also alot to say for just getting a good instructor in more often to work with you both

Seconded :) ! If you're feeling up for the challenge and have the time to commit to him yourself, working through these issues with a good RI could be very rewarding.

However, this isn't a perfect world :rolleyes: and if you don't have the time/confidence/experience (when on your own) to tackle this, then sending him away might be best.

You have afew options - a reputable breaking/re-schooling stables or loaning him to a GOOD riding school/college.
The latter (if you can find somewhere nice to take him) means less cost for you. And, providing the college is responsible, any mistakes made on him by students will be corrected (and he'll be used to being handled by different people by the time he comes to you).

The re-schooling stables is a good bet also.
He'll be handled by only experienced proffessionals from the start and (assuming it's a good yard) it'll all be done correctly.
It does have the downside that SOMETIMES these yards only have one person working the horse (and the style of riding he'll become used to will be very specific to that person).
It won't bother a lot of horses, but some don't take well to their owner getting back on (I don't mean messing about - but some get a bit unsettled by the whole thing and some of what's been achieved can unravel a tad). It's easily enough sorted though by having the person who schooled him give you afew lessons when his schooling is finished :) .

Last edited:
Sounds to me like you already know what you need to do ;)

I have to say I am really pleased I sent my mare away, it was the best thing for us both at the time and has given me loads more confidence in her :D

If you want to get out and about next summer pack him off to camp now, let him do 8-12 weeks (what ever you think he needs, mine only went for 4 weeks initially but ended up staying 13) then ride him for a few weeks when he gets back. Then give him a month off to chill and absorb what he has learnt before getting ready for the good weather. So that would be away till jan/feb then turn away march and back to it in april for the good weather and fun times :D

I think about four - six weeks, it's all sort of there in his head, on a bit of a cusp and just needs to spill out!

This place does get you to come and ride whilst the horse is there so you don't loose touch, and friends know people who have sent horses there to be schooled and it has worked, they've come back all the better for it.

My RI keeps telling me he is such a good boy, and he is willing to try and enjoys his work.

newrider.com