professional schooling - canter?

Lovecat

Smurp!
Oct 24, 2002
Essex, UK
Visit site
It's just struck me that I've been the proud owner of the Smurp for almost a year now!

Much as I love him, I have to admit that his canter in the school has got no better in the 6 months that I was riding him and having regular 1-on-1 lessons every week to try and 'solve' the problem. My YO was of the opinion that, although 7, he was actually still very babyish and it would take time and repetition to crack the problem. He canters on command when he's out hacking and has a lovely comfy stride.

Now that I have to either look for a loan/share for the next year or more or else turn him away for that time, I was wondering if it might be worth getting a professional in to assess him and see if he can be 'taught' canter in the school (my YO has since moved on and no longer teaches).

Obviously if he can canter in the school he's a far more attractive share prospect than he is at the moment, also it means that I won't be worried that I'm confusing him in my own novice ignorance...(perhaps I'm being far too impatient, please tell me if I am, but 6 months of solid trying has only produced about 3 steps of canter on either rein and a fair bit of bouncing up and down while going into it!)

So what do you wiser, more experienced NR people think? Is it worth it, or should I just accept that he's not going to canter in the school til he's good and ready?

NB, for those of you unfamiliar with Murphy, he's a heavyweight cob/draught type, 16hh, 7 yrs old, done loads of hacking but very little schoolwork. Since I bought him in October last year, although he gets bored easily in the school, he's been very quick to learn everything else and can do nice leg-yields, is beginning to work in collection although still a little bit on the forehand, is very bendy providing he's ridden off the leg/weight aids and last night for my 10yo niece performed a gorgeous set of manoeuvres in trot around a line of cones!

i think it's worth fgetting him assessed, at least. canter is much harder than it looks like it ought to be, especially for a big cobby lad in a school - but it might be that he can't, or it might just be that he thinks he can't and you're not quite able to insist that he can and that he will.

how is he cantering out? is he balanced and carrying himself, or is he onward bound/on the forehand? if his canter is quite speedy or unbalanced, then it could be that he doesn't think he has enough space. it's quite common with big horses, especially when they've come to schooling relatively late.

I have a 14.2 cob and although he does canter in our school it is difficult to get him to do it.
What is his canter like on the lunge? If he is balanced, has a good steady canter and strikes off on the correct leg etc
We are starting my daughters pony out and we have someone school her twice a week. This could be an option for you too. Just get someone to come and school your cob even only once a week, you will be surprised how things can improve even after only a few monthes. Your cob is still only young and so will pick up things very quickly.
Have a look in the Essex Rider for appropriate instructors, and also at BHS site for their list of qualified instructors as well. Ingatestone Saddlery may have something on their notices / adverts as well, may be worth having a look.
Have you also thought about joining a local Riding Club, they often have clinics that may be able to give assistance. You can find list of ones in Essex on the BHS website.
Your boy sounds like a superb wonderful friend. Have you done any ridden classes on him at local shows, or even think about cob classes?
Good luck with your canter, for it may be worth it has taken me 4 years to pluck up courage to actually canter, and now I have I ever wondered why I was scared and now feel that I can do so much more with my boy. We had our first canter out on our own this evening and the feeling that I had done this all by myself and he had not followed another horse into canter was wonderful!!!!!

Spoke to a lady who's been recommended to me last night - she charges £10 for half an hour and is going to give him an assessment to let me know what she thinks.

Shirley - he doesn't lunge (long story!). He's a little bit top-heavy in canter when he's out, but nothing terrible - he was horribly unbalanced when I first got him, which is why to begin with I wasn't too fussed about how long it was taking, as I knew he'd have to get balanced in trot before he could attempt canter in the school. However, he's going nicely now, it's been a year and he still hasn't 'grasped' it. Last night I asked the girl who was exercising her horse if she'd mind cantering in front of him in the school, to see if he'd follow - he did, but only for 1 side of the school - still, it was an improvement!:p

Thanks for the other comments - I'd have to show him in 'traditional' cob classes as I refuse to hog him or clip his feathers, and they don't seem to have them in our neck of the woods - but it's something I'd love to do! Because of the cantering issues I'm not sure that he's up to a ridden class just yet.... he'd probably be fine in the 'all together' bits, but I cringe at the thought of the individual show!:eek:

So - he doesnt lunge eh? What about free lungin him in the school?

If you are a novice...maybe hes just taking advantage of you. I know that I use to ride this LAZY horse and he wouldnt canter with me unless I really laid down the rules with him and forced him - although sometimes hed just buck instead.
Often it makes a huge difference if someone experienced will ride him. Sometimes I cant get a horse to canter, but the barn owner can just hop on him and get him cantering. The difference? Experience - & the horses KNOW whos boss and who not to mess around with.

But its a totally different story between NOT wanting to canter and NOT KNOWNG how to canter. From the sounds of it - he doesnt WANT to canter. If he canters fine outside, why wont he canter inside? It donest make a difference, except outside is more enjoyable. A good horse should canter both inside and out.

So your options - be tough with him and try to get him to canter (lay down the rulse with him. Horses will get away with anything thye can. If they dont think they have to do it, they wont. If they know they have to do it, they will).
Or get someone expereinced to ride him and try to get him to canter.
If he still doesnt canter in the school, get someone professional to train him.

LC, your problems aren't uncommon. Rio was broken to ride late having been a driving cob before that, so canter wasn't her natural pace and to an extent still isn't. We've been having lessons for 12 months now and though canter is still a sticking point at least we can get it and keep it (mostly!:D). It's very much a two steps forward, one back... situation.

Whilst Rio's walk and trot work in the school can be rather good at times we generally lose it all when we canter, though she'll invariably strike off on the right leg and is getting much more balanced, especially on the left rein.

Part of the problem was my riding, I was doing all the usual terrible novicey things that happen when you're trying too hard. I'm told that has improved, which has no doubt helped Rio too. Having professional help is a great idea if you can run to it, like you it would be nice to be able to have a go at something, a dressage test perhaps.

newrider.com