Professional Breaking!

appaloosamare

Jul 20, 2008
Who has had their youngsters professionally broken?

How much did you pay ?

How long did you put them off for?

What style was used with them?

I'm having a huge debate myself wither to break my youngster in..... have him broken locally or send him away to professional firm 200 miles away.

Argh...so hard....

depends if hes your 'baby' or not.

seriously, what i mean is he needs a firm start- so if your worried you might let him get bad habits, or it might knock your confidence if he does stupid stuff while been backed then its a good idea to send them away.

work on recommendations and word of mouth, see horses they have produced, what they have gone on to do etc

good luck :)

hey

he's my BABY for sure, but he's a big STRONG man - that responds well to voice - I don't let him off with crap - if I did he'd walk all over me - he;s a beast/.

He;s really easy to do.

I have absolutely no qualms about the quality of the yard I am thinking about down the road - its just a really difficult decision .....it's all I can talk , think , about right now.... ARGH.....

I sent my boy away to get broken but I was a "helicopter mum" for the first week (my OH's term for when I "hover" over my babies!! lol)

I nearly brought him home within 2 days cause he was so uptight but made myself wait for a week to see if he would settle and he did......and at that stage I had to back off so that he could bond a bit with the trainer. It took 3months for him cause he is a rescue but I made it clear to the trainer that moving at his pace was more important than hitting the usual breaking timescales, about 6 weeks normally.

It was lovely to get him home but I will now be happy taking his education further.....just needed someone more flexible (younger!) to do the initial bits.

Cost bout £100 or a £150 per week I think....what a memory I've got! Really should remember cause the OH was appalled at how long it took and how much £ it cost.

Sent my lad away for 2 weeks only as I wanted to do most of it myself when he came back, bad idea, he came back fro 6 months then went back to the yard for either 3 or 4 weeks cant remember. Cost was £100 p/w best thing I have ever done.

Liz

Im in the same dilema as you :)
Im leaning more to the send him away idea now though. Ive spoken to the lady who was recommended to me and shes really nice. Shes local too so i can see him as much as i want. She says it takes her roughly 4 weeks to get them going in walk, trot and canter with steering and brakes (obviously depends on individual horse). Shes quoted me £140 per week.

i enquired into a few "professional" backing yards round here as i debated about sending my youngster away. the most reasonable quote was £140 a week but grass livery was to be charged ontop of that. I then looked into getting a pro in, but again quotes were coming in at hundreds a week for lessons on my own yard, with cried of "OMG, you are telling me you DON'T have an indoor school?! you simply MUST have an indoor to back a horse in". I've now an "expert" friend helping me (when the weather allows), and she's doing it for free as i tutored her through her exams ;) i really wouldn't want to send baby away, having had 2 horses badly backed and spending years rectifying others mistakes i think it's easier to do things to my standards.

hey

i enquired into a few "professional" backing yards round here as i debated about sending my youngster away. the most reasonable quote was £140 a week but grass livery was to be charged ontop of that. I then looked into getting a pro in, but again quotes were coming in at hundreds a week for lessons on my own yard, with cried of "OMG, you are telling me you DON'T have an indoor school?! you simply MUST have an indoor to back a horse in". I've now an "expert" friend helping me (when the weather allows), and she's doing it for free as i tutored her through her exams ;) i really wouldn't want to send baby away, having had 2 horses badly backed and spending years rectifying others mistakes i think it's easier to do things to my standards.

yeah - well my yard down the road is down your way - was thinking the Craigies?? any conmment there??#

Pretty muched decided to paddle my own canoe....he's backed nicely - works fine of my voice command - im just going to go about it quiety and calmly and have a particualr friend who has broken 2 horses in the last couple of years of her own and I really like the way they have turned out - i'm under her tuition.

On the plus side had cobby at the indoor this afternoon and did my first 2'9" fence in 10 years....delighted....gutted no pics :)

newrider.com