Problems with haylage and a windy situation(cue peg on nose!)

Dark Storm

Well I'll be a Krampus's Auntie! :D!
Jan 4, 2009
Hadfield
My yard received 3 bales of haylage on saturday.. its very moist....

My horse has a strange habit that has developed over the last few days.. he's very windy and spraying **** when he does it:eek: I know its not connected to this new haylage, as it started before we opened the new bale..
He's pooing ok, 6/7 piles is the norm for him over night.. but I can't understand why he's become so windy of late:confused:
It's defo not constipation, as i've said, he's producing normal droppings, but he looks like a horse with a very rich diet:confused: he's not over fed, he's out in a field will not much grazing.. at the moment anyway..
I'm not over keen on these new bales, they look like they might cause my horse further digestive noises and of the brown stuff..
I've put him on a haylage supplement, to help his digestion (started it sunday) of haylage, as perhaps there is some mild discomfort I'm not picking up on..

I'm considering buying in a couple of hay bales to mix with haylage, and cut back on in take until he re-adjusts to this more potent feed..

How much haylage does he have. I feed my boy 1 net of haylage & 1 net if hay per night.

When he first started the haylage he was a bit windy, but no spraying:eek:. I aslo noticed that his dropping smelt of cabbage:eek:.

Funny how it effects them differently!:p

he's been on haylage since september.. only is was more hay like, I think this is a new thing, as he hasn't been particularly windy before.. this batch is 50/50 very damp.. but he started like this on friday, the new haylage was opened on sunday/monday..

newrider.com