Probably a very silly question but...

alwaysfallingof

Jul 17, 2004
London
Visit site
Do I need to soak haylage?

The whole yard moved from hay onto haylage last week, and since Max has COPD I thought 'great'! I've still been soaking it out of habit, but do I need to or am I being silly? :eek:

Also, I know it has a higher protein content than hay, but is it very much higher or just slightly, and how should I adjust his portions to keep the total energy content similar? (He's a very good doer!)

Thanks

No, you don'tneed to soak it. The higher moisture content in haylage means that dust and spores are not the problem they are in hay.

It does have a much higher protein content, and can put weight on good doers quite quickly - best bet is to slow down his eating (feed in haylage nets not haynets - they have smaller holes and slow down greedy eaters) by using two nets if neccessary (one inside the other, makes it harder to get haylage out) so you can feed less of it. If he's still doing too well, you might have to mix it with some soaked hay, to reduce the nutritional value.

Thanks Chev :)
But if it is that fattening, then I might have to revert back to hay...I can't feed from haynets or haylage nets because he is prone to sinusitis, and so needs to be fed from the floor. :(

Hmm, does make it a bit difficult! You might find different but mine have always pigged haylage a lot faster than hay, and done rather too well on it at times too. Why not try it and see how he goes?

alwaysfallingof
Have you considered feeding from a Hay Bar. They have a web site www.haybar.co.uk. They cost about £50 to buy. We are seriously considering them for our three horses. Our hay is quite expensive now and to save wasting it we are putting it in nets, but still seems so unnatural. The hay bars seem like to best way to feed from the floor, avoid unnecessary wastage and ensure no COPD etc.
P.S. I am not selling them, just giving my thoughts.

Thats such a good idea Shirley...next time I have a spare £50 sitting at home I'll definitely get one :) :( (It'll have to go at the bottom of my very extensive shopping list!)

I think you're right Chev, and I'll just have to see how he does on it. If the weigh tape shows that he's grown into a fat monster, I'll know what to blame!
Silly complicated pony. :rolleyes:

newrider.com