Probably a hard question to answer. Horse height/weight

Doodle92

Apr 6, 2021
Taking an “average” horse. What sort of horses weigh 450kg? I know this is a very vague question. But just wondering what general height and type this would be as a horse I could ride now. Minto was best at around 510kg and was a lightweight 16hh Tb and Robin is 640kg only 2 inches taller but much chunkier. Soli was a tb 16.2hh and best around the 575kg level.

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
A small one! Ben was a 16.2 shire x and weighed between 600kg and 700kg depending on how fit and fat he was at any particular time. A guess a 450kg would be something like a medium 14hh pony.

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
450kg is a lightweight type 14.2 or less, any horse weighing 450 is probably mismeasured 😉 Niko (3 yo) was still 420 @ 15hh earlier this year, but he’s done some filling out this summer and I’d bet he’ll show over 450 on a tape now and more than likely more than a tape on a weight bridge.

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Luka is a 14.3/15hh cob with plenty of bone (out of a Welsh Cob mare, by a Hackney x cob) and you can find picture of him on here to see his type. On my tape, which I've always found fairly accurate when compared to a weighbridge reading, he's currently 465kg and I'd say he could stand to lose a few kgs still. Little Un was a 14.1 Welsh Cob, though on the lighter end of the breed, and he taped at around 375kg when his weight was right. Jim was a 16.3 RID who was on a weighbridge at 690kg (tape said 681kg) and the vet said she was happy with his condition given that he was carrying a lot of muscle but that without it he'd have been a bit light since he was carrying very little fat (just a after colic surgery so she knew what fat was on him!).

So much depends on build, but there's also an issue of many horses are allowed to be fat for whatever reason - I freely admit Luka is currently fatter than he should be though slimmer than he was 4 months ago. I live in a racing village and talking to a good trainer about 3 years ago he said the majority of his horses would be 400 - 450kg max when racing fit.

Ale

Feb 8, 2012
When Brodie (Connemara about 15hh) was taken to liphook he weigh bridged at 470 and he was healthy and fit.

Lollykay

Feb 11, 2017
United States
450kg = 952 pounds. In the U.S. that is any light breed. It can be an Arabian, a sone Tennessee Walker, a Morgan, the finer bred working Quarter Horses as opposed to the beefier halter bred QH’s.

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
I admit Hogan is overweight, he's living on fresh air atm, out hacking a minimum of 3 times a week, BUT - it's very hard work to get an active trot out of him. His previous owner told me calling him a "good do-er" was a massive understatement. She spoke the truth. But when I look at this picture, I don't think he's disproportionately huge. Screenshot_20211009-101317_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: Lollykay

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
@Huggy head on wearing tack isn't a good shot to judge weight, about all I can see is belly.
I know - I was hoping the tack would flatter him! I suppose I'm seeing it in comparison to 3 months ago, when he did look huge - the tummy was far bigger. His fat pads have gone on his shoulders, and the gutter down his back and bum is much more shallow, though still there. I'm still embarrassed by his weight, when I see what weights are on here for bigger than him. It was just to show what 443kg looks like on 13hh - I have far worse pics but not ready to post those yet.

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
@Huggy don't be embarrassed. at least you're doing something about it! We often don't realise how fat a horse is until they've lost a lot and we then suddenly realise they aren't the shape we thought. Until I had to get a lot of weight off Little Un I didn't realise, I saw a Welsh Cob with an emphasis on cob whereas he was actually fairly fine for his breed and not at all like a proper cob. When Luka was about 25kg heavier I had a fair few people telling me he looked just right and not to get any more off him because he's a cob - he is, but a cob should still have a shape and ribs that can be found without x-rays! He's not exactly wasting away or looking like he needs some good meals now despite further weight loss, in fact he looks far better for it and has more energy (not entirely sure that's a plus lol). If only we were used to seeing fit cobs not fat ones, I still old remember seeing fit trim cobs that despite being true to size could carry a decent sized man for a day's hunting on heavy clay over decent country twice a week and would finish the season sound - they looked very different than the cobs I see around now who's owners have them so fat they can't even move freely and think they're in full work because they plod out a few times a week. As I said before I still feel Luka is fatter than he should be, though with how fluffy he's gone now it's hard to get a useful photo and I can hardly pass him round the forum for people to feel 🤣

Reactions: Jessey and PePo

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
That’s interesting thanks. I can ride a smaller horse than I had thought!

Are you basing this on rider as a % of horse weight? I feel that is a very flawed calculation as it fails to factor in conformation, fitness, rider ability, rider height (affects point of balance), tack fit, workload and many other factors. And if it's calculated on the horse's actual rather than ideal weight then it fails to allow for the fact that many horses are already carrying the equivalent of a rider in their own fat! Get 50kg off a fat horse and it doesn't mean he can carry 10kg less rider weight, no he's now physically capable of carrying more as he's (hopefully) fitter, stronger, and lugging round less fat of his own.

Luka is 465kg and I have no issue with riding him. I'd have doubts about a 16hh tb of that weight though as the conformation isn't put together to carry weight the same way, and I wouldn't be happy getting on a horse that was that weight because it was very overweight.

Reactions: Jessey and PePo

Doodle92

Apr 6, 2021
I’m basing it on 15% of their weight. I know there are a lot of factors. I’m just looking at a rough guide. I just wasn’t sure what a 450kg horse was. I’m not going to go to someone and say “how much does your horse weight?” Then “please can I gave a wee shot” or find out equine is 350kg and change the subject. I’m not looking for hard and fast rules just a vague idea.

Robin was up to carrying a lot of weight. He carried me easily. But then he was really poorly and coming back into work he was not up to anywhere near that weight. Hence the kick I needed. He probably could take it again now so I know what you are saying 😊

PePo

Jun 4, 2014
Don't forget that 15% should indeed their tack and riders in their riding gear, as it's something people can easily forget!

I've weighed my saddle, bridle & then myself fully dressed for riding to make sure I remain under the weight I'm comfortable mine taking.

However, I do feel my margins are smaller as I'm reasonably big for his size and we ride long distances over some challenging terrain.

FWIW, he's 13.2hh and currently weighs about 435kg but ideally want him 400-410kg. He's carrying some excess as like @Huggy calling him a good doer is an understatement :D We prefer the term survivor 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Huggy

PePo

Jun 4, 2014
Not the best pictures (or his most flattering angles 🤣) but these are all I can find on my phone - for reference, if it helps?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211011-113026_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211011-113026_Gallery.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20211011-112154_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20211011-112154_Photos.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 8

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
Don't forget that 15% should indeed their tack and riders in their riding gear, as it's something people can easily forget!

I've weighed my saddle, bridle & then myself fully dressed for riding to make sure I remain under the weight I'm comfortable mine taking.

However, I do feel my margins are smaller as I'm reasonably big for his size and we ride long distances over some challenging terrain.

FWIW, he's 13.2hh and currently weighs about 435kg but ideally want him 400-410kg. He's carrying some excess as like @Huggy calling him a good doer is an understatement :D We prefer the term survivor 🤣
I'm aiming for 400, but having lost nearly 100, that last bit is proving very hard to shift!