Probably a daft question but............

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Can being on the computer all day in semi-darkness cause dizzyness? I had a "funny do" earlier on - I've been on the computer more or less all day and haven't got the main light on. I felt like the page was wavering about and I felt generally light-headed. Could it be that my eyes need testing or something? (Don't laugh!!!). Could it be because they are getting worse with age? I'm 42 and haven't had them tested for yonks! I am a bit tired but not overly so. Just a bit worried and feel a bit silly asking the doctor - sounds a bit over dramatic if you know what I mean!! Any suggestions?!

You should have your eyes tested every two years. If you have a tesco opticans near you they often do free eye tests. Also you should take regular breaks from the screen and I wouldn't have thought having on light on would help matters. Try to take a break every 20 minutes to focus at a different distance, like in distance or close reading as your eyes get tired focusing at same distance for too long.

Having breaks and getting an eye test is a very good idea. Hopefully dissiness is just a one off, but if not then a bit of further investigation would be sensible. Look after yourself! x

probably its not normal for human beings to be inside hunched over a gadget all day.

You shouldn't be reading ANYTHING in poor light, it's so bad for your eyes! Gem 'em tested and treat them better ;)

I think its the computing in bad light all day that's done it this time, but regular eye sight checks are a must. I have them every two years for distance vision as I wear glasses for driving and wearing outdoors.

An eye test is definitely a good idea, my optician told me that it's quite common for your close-up vision to start deteriorating in your 40's - something to do with the muscles in your eye losing their elasticity & not being able to focus as close as they used to. I now need reading glasses for close-up work, & I'm currently wearing a very stylish pair from the poundshop(!) so I can see what I'm typing.
Another thought though, the symptoms you describe could also be caused by mild dehydration, which could happen if you've been engrossed in your work & not stopped for a cuppa often enough. My solution (I can get quite wrapped up in photo & movie projects) is a child's spill-proof drinking bottle, so that I can keep a drink by the computer without the risk of knocking a mug of tea into my PC :redcarded:

Yes - one needs to get up and walk around once every two hours. I start to feel sick too.

Thanks all - I do think I may have been mildly dehydrated - I simply "forgot" to have some water - I don't drink many coffee / tea / hot drinks, so usually have plain water, but for some reason I just didn't!

newrider.com