Prince is being hogged on Saturday! aggh!

Laura2184

Mar 1, 2005
Cheshire
www.cheshiretackroom.co.uk
Please somebody tell me Im doing the right thing!!

My cob is rather hairy and is very itchy, we've tried all sorts of creams on his mane and tail but within a few days they are back to being really scurvy and itchy.

The other day I spotted him itching his feathers on a fallen branch in his field. It looked really itchy judging by the lip curling!! :giggle:

His feathers and mane are quite long but in winter (even though we use pig oil and suplhur) the mud rots his feathers off and they are a nightmare to clean and dry.

At the moment he is looking really scruffy after rubbing bits of his mane off but Im hoping that if we chop it off, a)it will be cooler for him and less itchy and b)we can treat the skin better as at the moment you cant really get to it!

Just looking for a bit of reassurance really as I know once its gone, its gone!! :unsure:

:help:

Do you think he has sweet itch, have you tried frontline on his feathers, we use cooking oil in the winter they smell like a chip shop but lasts longer. Personally I like both hogged and hairy, but I think if you hogg you have to do the lot feathers forlock the full works then it looks really smart. "going the full hogg" so to speak. If only the odd bit is done it looks unfinished. Hes a handsome boy so either way will suit him its up to your preference. look at some photos of hogged horses to help you make your mind up.

Thanks Daftdraught, I dont think it is sweet itch as he is itchy all year round, even in the middle of winter and all he gets fed is Baileys lo cal and magnesium so I cant see him being allergic to any of that either.

We are gonna have the lot off, feathers, mane, forelock and get rid of some of the weight at the top of his tail as there is just so much hair going on there that its constantly red hot and itchy!

Frankie gets very itchy if he has too much grass - don't know if that might be relevent to your boy?

I would hate to hog Frank as I like him hairy but you have to do what is best for you and your boy. I've found head and shoulders shampoo to be good for itchy bits.

You are defo doing the right thing.

My Irish Cob gets very itchy and scabby. I hog him and take all his feathers off. I actually think it really suits him too!

Makes his scabs go away and he doesnt itch anymore. Problem with feathers is that they hold moisture which isn't good.

Let's see piccies when you've done it :happy:

Trust me, hogging him mane and feathers off will make a world of difference and he'll thank you for it:wink: My lad gets itchy under his feathers if I don't keep them trim, and will lie down just so he can get to his back legs and have a good scratch..

all he gets fed is Baileys lo cal and magnesium so I cant see him being allergic to any of that either.

Bailey's Lo Cal does have alfalfa in it and it's not unheard of for ponies to be itchy on alfalfa - my mare has an alfalfa intolerence and gets terrible "mud fever" when she's fed it.

Hmm you're right actually - just been onto the Lo Cal page on Bailey's website and alfalfa isn't listed as an ingredient. It was when I last bought it but that was about 2 years ago - maybe they've changed the recipe since then? Might be worth checking the white piece of paper attached to the bag as that gives a complete breakdown? :unsure:

Updated as we cross posted - great news that it doesn't but boo that it isn't a reason for his itchyness :( I think he will look smart hogged though ;)

Hogging Results!!

Well the deed has been done! what do you think? Please don't comment on his feet or how fat he is as Ive been trying to get hold of farrier for 2 weeks and the fat, well we are working on it hard everyday!!

Mane before hogging
picture.php

too late to turn back now!!
picture.php

Nearlly gone!
picture.php

Falling asleep having his feathers trimmed off
picture.php

The end result! A bit sweaty after a fat busting ride.
picture.php

Sooo what do you think?! :biggrin:

newrider.com