Primark anyone?

domane

Retired cob mum
Jul 31, 2005
Just seen on the news the massive queues this morning to get into newly- reopened Primark branches for heavily discounted stock. Anyone from here get up early to do this? Nope, me either!!! :rolleyes:

Human beings priorities make me so sad. Objects cannot make you happy. To risk the lives of others for these trivial things is just moronic.

It just cannot be fun shopping under these circumstances. Hell, I'm terrified of a vet visit which will be a necessity never mind browsing for ruddy clothes! I don't understand their train of thought. I only know why it has spread like it has..............................:confused:

Reactions: Kite_Rider
Just seen on the news the massive queues this morning to get into newly- reopened Primark branches for heavily discounted stock. Anyone from here get up early to do this? Nope, me either!!! :rolleyes:
Not a chance! I don’t really like
primark any way and a hate queues!
I’ve come to the conclusion that there are a lot of bonkers people out there.

Reactions: Trewsers
I do actually quite like Primark, but not enough to do long queues etc. I'm not a browser - only shop when I need something. There's specific things Primark is good for - strappy tops, jeans, trainers and boots. I'm into my third year in the last lot I bought, so it's not that bad a quality.

I do actually quite like Primark, but not enough to do long queues etc. I'm not a browser - only shop when I need something. There's specific things Primark is good for - strappy tops, jeans, trainers and boots. I'm into my third year in the last lot I bought, so it's not that bad a quality.

I buy Primark second hand off ebay. I have quite a few of their blouses. But I haven't bought anything off there for a while. Shame they don't do online sales. I've had a couple of Primark gilets too which have been good quality though I find they come up small size wise.

Reactions: Huggy
People terrify me. Can anyone be that desperate for new clothes that they're prepared to queue for that long with complete strangers? I know it's outdoors and socially distanced, but even if the risk is reduced it's still unnecessary in my eyes.

To an extent we do need a certain amount of insane, idiots to spend money. This is the getting the economy going trade off.
But surely you can choose to stagger your visit, you know like they are doing for schools.

I don't intend to touch any shop that isn't selling food, I will be supporting business's though as and when I need things, online.
I am loving our swap table, you don't need to queue and the stock changes all the time. It's nice to see my dvds go and books appear.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
It's certainly not something I would do but i wouldn't have done it before hand as i dont like busy places or shopping in shops,but, and this may not be popular, they are allowed to do this if they choose to. We don't know anyone's circumstances here and they could have been stuck inside in a hell hole for the last 3 months and going to Primark is something that makes them happy. I kept riding much to alot of people's dismay at the time but it helped me survive. Different things make different people happy. I find it sad that when not so long ago be kind was plastered all over, that now people are constantly judging people for their choices. Now riots and protests I disagree with entirely at this point but people happy to cue for 3 hours because buying some leggings or vests will make them happy when they are allowed to? No i don't disagree with that.

These shops and others need to start opening, people's lives and jobs depend on it, funding this country depends on it, covid 19 is not gone I know, but neither is life and the need for the economy and allowing people to do things that make them happy.

It's certainly not something I would do but i wouldn't have done it before hand as i dont like busy places or shopping in shops,but, and this may not be popular, they are allowed to do this if they choose to. We don't know anyone's circumstances here and they could have been stuck inside in a hell hole for the last 3 months and going to Primark is something that makes them happy. I kept riding much to alot of people's dismay at the time but it helped me survive. Different things make different people happy. I find it sad that when not so long ago be kind was plastered all over, that now people are constantly judging people for their choices. Now riots and protests I disagree with entirely at this point but people happy to cue for 3 hours because buying some leggings or vests will make them happy when they are allowed to? No i don't disagree with that.

These shops and others need to start opening, people's lives and jobs depend on it, funding this country depends on it, covid 19 is not gone I know, but neither is life and the need for the economy and allowing people to do things that make them happy.
Could nt agree more - well put.

I can see your point, but just because we are allowed to do something doesn't mean we all need to at the same time.
To be fair, the photos actually aren't that bad. If you remove social distancing, that queue wouldn't be around the corner and remove limiting customers and everyone would be in the shop, so realistically is just a normal line that shops get for the sales. It's normality which is what people are trying to grab hold of.

And its the news, the amount of reporters that work and they could only find lines to take photos of. They do that at Christmas and show the boxing day sales.

We had a take away at some point, essential no, normality yes. Trying to survive the isolation yes.

I can see your point also, but I still think the majority didn't need to be there. I don't think it's unkind to say a trip out during these times to do something unessesary is foolish. In my opinion it is because each time you do you are risking lives, potentially your own. If you mentally need to then carry on. They seem to have reopened things in the wrong order with the most money being the priority not mental well being.

While I question the wisdom of opening shops, and have no desire whatsoever to go to Primark, Debenhams or m&s (I hold all equal in my loathing for shopping!), I've been incredibly fortunate in this lockdown. I've been able to ride (not essential), do the horses, walk the dog, walk in the forest, have a lovely big garden, and last, but certainly not least, have the company of OH. If I lived alone, in a flat or terraced house in a town or city, going shopping, I imagine, could feel amazing. Before she moved down here, my late mum often said the only time she spoke to anyone was when she was at the shops. Sadly, as has been mentioned, a lot of people who really didn't need to, and for whom it was just a jolly, have obviously rolled up and swelled the numbers. And of course it's about money - as it is in all the countries around us. The economy's in tatters, and I doubt it'll recover in my lifetime. Damned if they open, damned if they don't, I'm afraid.

Thank you for posting this, it’s made me realise that what I said was not kind at all and I am rather ashamed of myself tbh.
Lesson to learn here is engage brain before posting and think about what you are about to write. x

Reactions: Huggy
I am surprised all shops suddenly got the green light though, it sort of throws away the cautious approach.
Personally I would said shops of a certain size or a certain amount of staff first, maybe June 8?
We are still monitoring. We must not forget we only opened schools just two weeks ago, we allowed more people to meet, we've added in meeting in the garden and social bubbles.
The R which was vital to stay under 1, is on or over and still we opened shops.
The balancing act yes is a nightmare.

As for mental health I am starting to struggle after 13 weeks without the cob. But soon we will be together again. :)

newrider.com