preventing mud fever *added more pics*

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
So I thought sox had mud fever but I got one of the girls on the yard who is currently doing her PTT exams and she said that it doesn't look like mud fever and that he hasn't got it. So I am now looking at ways of preventing it. Anyone got any ideas or suggestions on what works for there horses?

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about preventing it if he didn't have it - it's one of those things some get and some don't. Storm can stand in mud all day and not suffer yet Chloe has to be watched carefully. So, what did Sox have then?

Barrier H hoof to heal cream is excellent to put on either as a preventative, or when they have it, as it removes the scabs very easily

Thermatex leggings also help if put on at night.

So if the girl who looked at him doesn't know what it is, how do you know it isn't mud fever?

Are the legs hot? Do they have scabs? We have had a lot of rain - albeit not this last week, but previously and there has been a lot of mud.

Mud fever is a bacteria that lives in the ground - are there other horses in the herd that have mud fever? Or has there been horses on the ground yours are grazing on that have had mud fever?

Mud fever starts gently and if nothing is done about it then it flares up into epic proportions.

A horse can actually get mud fever on its belly and upper legs, with no sign of it lower down. Is your horse sore Lauren? Is it possible to post some pics. I appreciate that we aren't by any means expert vets on here - but any soreness and lumps that aren't going away really shouldn't be ignored, and a little forum input and advice surely can't go astray?:smile:

If you are intending to leave it for weeks as opposed to days, before you get a vet opinion I really find that rather worrying. What could be something very minor and easily treated now, could become a huge problem that could take its toll on the horse's whole system if left untreated.

I have to say that often in rescue horses one of the biggest issues is very often a minor problem like mud fever or rain scald that has been ignored and then debilitates the poor horse to the extent that its immune system is compromised and then open to other more serious infections.

This is being said to criticise or worry you, merely to point out the possibilities and the wisdom of getting appropriate professional advise sooner rather than later, for the sake of your finances and Sox's health.:wink:

A year or two down the line you will probably just come across something like this and know instantly what it is, and confidently deal with the issue. We all start somewhere and in the early days we really need to rely more on a vet/farrier or whatever than a friend at the yard.:unsure:

I agree with Mrs C.

We have a girl on our yard who is actually a vet nurse who sadly missed the signs that her horse badly needed its teeth doing.............. am not sure how, because it was pretty obvious!

I would take little notice of 'experts on yards' Your horse clearly has a problem that you don't know what it is. Get a vet out and learn from what they say.

Ok I will see if I can take some pics and show you all. Sox is in his own field . None of the other horses on our yard have mud fever. His legs don't appear hot but they do feel like scabs/ or like small hard bits of mud . He gets annoyed if I keep like poking and prodding them which I can't blame him.

Last edited:
With pics

IMG-20131126-00711.jpgIMG-20131126-00714.jpgIMG-20131126-00713.jpgIMG-20131126-00712.jpgIMG-20131126-00710.jpg Right I have taken some pics. Though there of his legs . There is one photo were you can see the sudocreme from a few days ago and some faded purple spray aswell lol. The heel pics are on his hind legs . On the 5 pic there is a tiny bump and it feels like two small piecies of mud

Last edited:
IMG-20131127-00721.jpgIMG-20131127-00720.jpgIMG-20131127-00716.jpgI took a few more pics today. Obvs the one in his field is how he comes in that photo was taken when I went to get him tonight. I also removed what appears to be two scabs though I have attacked them with sudocreme and he appears have no more scabs on his at the moment. I aren't really sure what to do . Should treat his legs incase there are anymore scabs or should I prevent it since there appears to be no more scabs?

View attachment 47806View attachment 47805View attachment 47804I took a few more pics today. Obvs the one in his field is how he comes in that photo was taken when I went to get him tonight. I also removed what appears to be two scabs though I have attacked them with sudocreme and he appears have no more scabs on his at the moment. I aren't really sure what to do . Should treat his legs incase there are anymore scabs or should I prevent it since there appears to be no more scabs?

I would get the vet personally.

"Mud fever" and "rain scald" drive me potty. My pony has a vet rare skin condition called pemphigus foliacous - her hair moults the same as above - clumps of hair with skin attached. I was told time and time again it was mud fever and I was making a fuss and it's not mud fever. In addition if it is an allergy then treating it may aggravate it. Always better safe than sorry IMHO - but I've learnt the hard way.

The other spin off is stuff like cellulitis or infections - as a result of badly managed/treated bacterial/fungal infections. It's better to pay out early doors than for it to worsen and be bigger bills or sadly, worse.

Sorry that sounds so grim - but we can't diagnose from photos - only advise. I can say it's most probably a dermatitis but not whether the cause is bacterial, fungal or autoimmune system related.

have a word with vet , he may prescribe some ointment - we used hibiscrun and some oitment prescribed for Josh - but you have to be careful asyou can't always use hibiscrub with some - once clear we used keretex powder and turnout boots to prevent it - very sucessful he never had it again.

A little on her leg...

To a whole leg...

To all over

All the hair came out by first a hard lump under the hair and then the hair coming out in clumps with skin/scab attached

It is rare but there are so many different (and more common ailments) please don't be fooled by "just mud fever"

Clumps of hair coming out of legs in with the wet weather we have had is almost certainly mud fever or the precurssor to it in my opinion.

I personally would purchase some Camrosa cream (available on the internet) and do as they suggest. Many people buy it and then for some reason don't follow their instructions and then say it doesn't work ...........

Will be a lot cheaper than a vet visit and will almost 100 per cent work.

newrider.com