Preparing for the storm.

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
Well tomorrow and the next few days look pretty vile here. So this afternoon the donks and Dolly have their rain sheets on ready for anything. They tend to not use their shelter when it is very windy (quite wise really) so waterproof coats are a must.

Just a few piccys of the boys and cos they are gorgeous and a little video of Dolly rubbing her belly and rolling (click on the piccy if you can be bothered:redface:)-even in this cold weather the feffing midges are still stirring up her sweet itch. Not nearly so bad this year though, thanks to eventually working out what regime helps her.

So shamelessly showing off my little bunch.:biggrin:

Donkeys just so sweet ............ as of course is Dolly. My TB ex racer was terrified of the donkeys that came to stay - so much so, he wouldn't eat his haynet which was near his door and the donkeys were right opposite!! I eventually gave in as he was never going to man up and go to the door and had to position haynet at the back.

Do horses like donkeys on the whole? Do they get on nicely and do stuff together? Am just thinking a donkey might be a nice thing for Tobes to have,but then again, he likes to play, and I don't think donkeys do?

I have found once they get over the initial shock and horror they actually do quite like donkeys as companions. Solomon was devoted to Bertie, he would have taken on the world to protect him, and Bertie always ran and hid behind him if anything or anyone frightened him!:redcarded:

Dolly has gone from mild curiosity and indifference when she arrived three years ago, to shouting loudly to them when we are out riding. And they, of course, dutifully shout back to her. We have to get a good three miles away before all the herd communication stops!:biggrin:

I would never keep just one though - I have in the past with Bertie, but his relationship with Solly was quite unique, he had been with him since a very young foal. Even with a horsey companion I feel they do still need another donkey. Such fun to watch the three of them playing though. Dolly really does make a total muppet of herself sometimes, playing with the boyyos!:biggrin:

Hmm, my paddock wouldn't have enough to support the large white and TWO donkeys.

Still, if things change, maybe I could.

Very sweet boys and Dolly.

I do love donkeys, I would have a couple if I had more room :biggrin:

They do play SJP, we have 3 for sale at the moment that love to lark around with one another. Sam loved the jack donkey I had in for a while.... Minnie not so much:redface:

Awwwww, I love donks!! The vid of Dolly made me laugh too - I love that sort of dog shaking thing they do when they've finished rolling!!!

Am massively hijacking Mrs C's post, but would donkeys be less 'needy' care wise than horses? Obviously I am tied by the large white who insists on coming in at night during the winter, so donkeys would have to as well, but are they hardy?

Just wondering whether a hardy horse would be a better option for Tobes, although he is not keen on hardy horses - much prefers thoroughbreds as friends - grr!!!

Donks are hardy, but they do need shelter but if you had 2 donks and a shelter they could stay out maybe...

We have 2 gelded little donks for sale, cheap as chips... can put a post it on them saying 'Sallys' if you want lol:bounce:

None of my donkeys have ever lived in. They do have access to shelter if they need it but they are more usually found in there in the summer, sheltering from the heat (well Irish heat anyway!:giggle:)rather than in the winter when they often dont bother.

I do rug them though right through the winter. They start out in rain sheets and progress to lightweights as we get through the winter months.

When my vet first came out to Bertie when he was a baby, he said he had never, ever seen a donkey in a rug before, nor had my farrier. But these days it is more common, with the more caring owners.

I know some people do feel they should be kept in during the bad weather, but I am an advocate for keeping out at all times if they are happy, comfortable and well. Same as my horses. But it is the same old story, we are all different and it is what suits one person and their livestock that is important. No hard and fast rule IMO.

Aww how sweet, I love donkeys. There are a couple in a field we drive past on our way to the livery yard and Findlay signs "rabbit horse" at them as they look like a horse but have big ears like a rabbit :giggle::giggle:

newrider.com