Preliminary Test

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
There is a dressage comp coming up locally in a couple of weeks. I'm thinking of entering on Jack and my RI suggested I might like to try a preliminary test as Jack is quite capable. Not sure I am though, but I've ordered the test sheets from the BD site anyway because at least I can practice for the future, even if I only go for Intro A or B this time.

But there's millions of them - the schedule for the show hasn't been uploaded to the website yet so I don't know exactly what classes there are. I know they always do separate Intro A and an Intro B classes, but surely they don't normally offer classes for all the prelim/novice etc tests?

Are there certain prelim tests that are most commonly offered, or do I need to wait for the schedule to be published before I can start practising?

Most places will offer one intro and one or two prelims, practice the movements required in the tests but don't practice the tests themselves or your horse will start to anticipate.

Once they tell you which test is required learn it on foot not on your horse!!

Most places will offer one intro and one or two prelims, practice the movements required in the tests but don't practice the tests themselves or your horse will start to anticipate.

Once they tell you which test is required learn it on foot not on your horse!!

Thanks eml.

Kitchen floor here I come!

What good advice! We have a 'combined training' competition coming up at the end of the month just inter yard.

Am hopeless at learning tests, but think shall attempt it on my own feet before trying with Tobes.

And good luck Bodshi, am sure you will do fabby.

Thanks, I've entered the Prelim 4, but don't know whether I'll do it as haven't actually practiced anything, being too much of a chicken to canter in our small indoor school at the yard. I've also entered Intro A so will do that one anyway. I've got a lesson tomorrow (at the arena where the comp is held) when we'll run through the tests and I'll decide what to do about the Prelim. I have just about memorised it, so I can do it in the kitchen, even though I haven't tried on horseback :unsure: I only go for the experience at the end of the day - I have no illusions about getting placed, so there's no pressure.

Last edited:
newrider.com