possibly the dumbest question ever, but here goes

shikras mum

Apr 3, 2008
Co Durham
At what age is it possible for a horse to get pregnant, as in the youngest

i don't mean what age should they but could they

Also what age should they start coming into season

there was a rising two year old in the field next to ours when I was a kid - one morning there was an "extra" in the field with her - so she must have been a yearling when she fell.

Our shettie had just turned 1 and came into season a few days after,she was in season 24 hrs,the riggy type gelding we have on yard was showing interest in her when she had her 3rd season:rolleyes:

I bought Shikra 5 months ago and she was 2 in june

When i bought her she was in a mixed herd, pregnant mares, fillies and entire colts who were roughly the same age as her

since coming back off my hols i've noticed a big belly forming, did'nt think anything of it at first but today the thought hit me "could she be in foal" :eek:

I'm very sure it's not a grass belly

She's fully wormed so also certain it isn't worms

vets coming on wednesday anyway so he will check her over then for me

in the meantime whats everyones thoughts, does this belly look pregnant or fat (she doesn't appear fat anywhere else) would love the answer to be fat

not great pics i'm afraid, they don't really show just how round the belly is. Tried to get one of her face on so could see how far out at the sides she is but she was having none of it

you can see the size of the belly compared to harry's though (but he's a big lad and needs a belly that size)

shikra023.jpg

shikra010.jpg

shikra006.jpg

shikra008.jpg

newrider.com