possible sarcoid?

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton
so this is my friends new horse - and this is the first thing i spotted when i met her in the stable...

your thoughts?

previous owner said it was there when she bought her about 18 months ago and she was told it was an equine wart, although no biopsies taken - if you look at the attached ridden pic which i have taken off the sales advert - which looks like a summer pic, you can just about make it out, but i dont think it looks as big as now....

Attachments

• 205286.jpg
    205286.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3967.jpg
    IMG_3967.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3971.jpg
    IMG_3971.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3972.jpg
    IMG_3972.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 73
Well years ago people would often call, what I know are sarcoids, equine warts. Sort of makes them sound pretty harmless doesn't it?:frown:

I am not a vet, nor am I an expert on warts, sarcoids or whatever you want to call them, but I would not be at all happy to find that growing on my horse. I think at the very least, common sense would say they need to get the growth checked out?:confused:

bloomin eck thats a whopper.

I had a vet out last year to check out a suspected Sarcoid ( was pea sized) but it looked the same sort of mass type as that, I would get it checked out sooner rather than later... however its not the end of the world, its just something you need to be made aware of and manage.

Thats an awful sales picture !:ninja:

yeh we all completely agree the sales picture is awful! I am yet to see the new novice owners ride the mare, i hope she is well behaved under saddle. I lunged her twice this week for them and tbh she seems pretty steady....if a bit grumpy though.

hmmm yeh thing is as she is a new purchase she wouldnt be covered under her insurance if she had the vet check it yet - so they are going to keep an eye on it - hence taking photos as a size guide and then get the vet when it's less likely to be declined by the policy - although if it changes at all in the mean time they will def get the vet and pay whatever it costs.

Is it possible that when clipping someone has nicked the skin. This infected and this is the result? Is this the only growth?
Keep an eye on, the horse would have failed a vetting with it i suspect.

If it is a sarcoid or a wart, it is not in the way of any tack so just leave well alone.

If you meddle with warts or sarcoids you are asking for trouble. If it does not interfere with tack then just carry on as normal and ignore. You should get your vet to check it but my vets advice is as above.

Victory has warts in his ear which vet advises to leave well alone. He also had a "sarcoid" on his belly (but not in the girth region) so didn't affect him in any way. I left it well alone on vet's advice and is eventually just disappeared.

Last edited:
I will say that Varatlan, one of the foster horses, has something almost identical in the exact same place. A Tick had got under his rug, and had attached at the point where the legstraps were laying from being attached to the rug. It got infected, has healed, and has scarred.

Either that, or he's getting a sarcoid!

that is interesting KV - we immediately said i wonder if it has been aggravated by the leg straps on her rug - so all leg straps are being changed to fillet strings now just in case.

Yeh i def told her to leave well alone, someone told her to put aloe vera on it and i said not to put anything on it at all until after vet advice

also - this is the leg we feel she looks stiff on as well.....

Is it possible that when clipping someone has nicked the skin. This infected and this is the result? Is this the only growth?
Keep an eye on, the horse would have failed a vetting with it i suspect.

possibly about nicking, but it must have been something there to nick.

Theres a thumb nail sized bald patch just out of view of this lump to the right along the belly which looks like a scar...and also on the pic you can just about make out a bald patch in the hair directly below the lump towards her udder...that looks like a classic bald patch leading to a sarcoid/something....

possibly about nicking, but it must have been something there to nick.

Theres a thumb nail sized bald patch just out of view of this lump to the right along the belly which looks like a scar...and also on the pic you can just about make out a bald patch in the hair directly below the lump towards her udder...that looks like a classic bald patch leading to a sarcoid/something....

Hard to tell but is that her belly button?

If that was my horse I would be calling the vet. I would want to know exactly what it is and what to do about it. It could be all sorts of things and only a vet will be able to tell you.

Looks angry.

Maya has what the vet thinks is a sarcoid. Its a small hard lump that feels like a small marble under the skin. It is nothing like that growth.

Could it be melanoma?

Moët has a marble sized lump under her skin on her neck. She has had it since I bought her 5 years ago, it's never changed or turned into anything. Vet just said to keep an eye on it but luckily nothing has ever developed :)

Newforest - nah it's about 2 inches to the side of her belly button.

Little lumps under the skin like peas, Jack was covered in them . Somewhere on my album you can see loads of them. I had him allergy tested and he did come back as being allergic to certain things. They never went down, but they did increase in volume.
It was immune system related. The test was £200 about 3 years ago.

Think if there was any doubt as to what it is would want vet confirmation & send the mare back as would never knowingly buy a horse with a sarcoid & have to say that does look like one.Perhaps time for you to jump ship & let them get on with it as they've taken no notice of what you've said so far :unsure:

Looks very similar to a verrucous sarcoid to me...

I had a horse on loan 2 years ago who had sarcoids on his sheath - they were a different type to that, but I did do a lot of research on them. This website is one of 'the' places to go for expert knowledge on them. There are lots of different types of sarcoid and this website describes them all, with pictures.

http://www.liv.ac.uk/sarcoids/appearance/what/

But at least it isn't in a place where it should affect the horse - unless it affects it's movement I guess? I wonder if it pulls tight when the leg moves?

newrider.com