Possible pain issue - ideas?

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Hired a local school yesterday as hacking was out due to icy roads. Raf is always much stiffer on the left rein than the right anyway, but yesterday he was particularly reluctant. He was ok going large on the left rein, but when asked to trot a circle head came up, tossing about very crossly, I couldn't get him to soften or engage. When cantering didn't want to strike off on the left lead at all, and even gave a little buck when asked to turn left. He does the odd little buck when he thinks he's being asked too much, but really I wasn't asking a lot!

He isn't visibly lame, had dentist in November, saddle refitted/flocked in October. Farrier due 10th January (5 wks). He is due the physio (one of those things I keep meaning to get round to) - have tried to ring this morning but it's on answerphone, so may not be able to contact her until the New Year.

The last few days he's been full of it out hacking so came as a bit of a surprise that he just didn't feel right in the school. Although he did feel a bit less keen when I was on the left diagonal on our last hack, but that isn't particularly unusual, as I say he doesn't like the left rein generally.

So I'd be really grateful if any of you with more experience than me could help with your ideas. Do you think it could be back related? I'm really hoping it isn't some underlying tendon problem or something (I am paranoid about his legs because of his poor conformation - front feet turn out, off-side more than near).

Has he changed a bit since your last saddle fitting? I'm only asking because this was what my friends mare was like - well she had a much more extreme reaction, after she had her saddle re flocked, fitter came out and tweaked it and she's back to normal again now. Whatever the cause I hope you get to the bottom of it soon, horrible when they worry us so much with those just can't put your finger on it issues isn't it.

Storm had issues one year at Christmas - not visibly lame, but just not quite right and doing a bit of a buck going into canter. She was also what I would class as a bit morerebellious than usual when being schooled and I just couldn't decide what was causing it. I had the back lady recommended by our vet out to her and after a couple of visits she was fine. Like yours, she'd had teeth done etc so I ruled that out. I did wonder if she had changed shape a little too because of it being winter - I think if I remember correctly we had her saddle checked but that was not the problem. I think the back lady said she'd tweaked something but we got some exercises for her and after the lady worked her "'magic" she came right again.

What is he normally like in the school? Is this a huge difference in him or has he always been reluctant in the school?

If you can't see anything obvious, I would hire the school again in the a couple of days and bring a friend to video how he moves. You can then better assess how is he. Or, you could try lunging him and view from the ground?

Reactions: newforest
Thanks guys. In answer to your questions - KR I don't think he's changed much but I might ring saddle fitter anyway, she did talk about putting a narrower gullet in his saddle, but didn't want to do that and the reflocking at the same time. MP - he doesn't like schooling and left rein is always trickier than right, but he normally doesn't make such a fuss. Good idea about hiring the school again. Actually we've got visitors now for the next three days and I'm back at work on Friday so it's going to be a few days now. Drat, I've just realised I've a jumping lesson booked for Saturday at quite an expensive venue, so I really need to see how he is before then. Suppose my RI could assess him for me, but it will be quite a waste of money if we get there and she thinks he's not fit to go on.

Can't even trot him up at the moment, because it's too icy on the yard.

Trewsers, thanks, I hope it is something like that. Can't wait to get the physio out to have a look.

I'd have a play with some carrot stretches to see if he really is stiffer on the left, it would also help loosen it up. I'd probably do farrier stretches with back legs too, same reasoning. Then get the physio to give a once over when you can get hold of her, until then I'd probably keep him a touch warmer than usual, cold muscles get stiffer.
If it was limb lameness you would generally see some heat, swelling or notable lameness so I'd tend to go the other route first.

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
I would tend to learn too just gentle work and stretches until the physio can see him.

When ginger feels off the first person i call is the physio if i can't see any other reason.

If it is the saddle the damage be it temporary or not has been caused and a good work over would relax any tension before the refitted saddle is used again.

How's things?
Mine is slightly lame in trot on left rein, but its a slight nod and a general not quite right.

Is he tracking up in walk/trot. That's what I pick up straight away with mine if stiff behind. You can see that if you longrein beside.

Major isn't lame but stiff particularly on one rein and will try to counter bend on the bad rein continuously. We have generally been doing weekly half hr schooling for the last 4 months and it's made a huge difference. He has really improved and isn't so stiff.

Could it be that you need to ride more frequently in a school? (As long as pain is eliminated)

Mmmm thanks for the further thoughts. NF he appeared to be tracking up ok when 'going large' - I was with YO and she couldn't see anything wrong. On a small circle he wouldn't take regular steps at all for any length of time so harder to see. I don't know how to long rein unfortunately :oops: I do hope Tilley has improved now.

OBC - thanks, I will get the physio as soon as I can and Julie, yes that is what Raf was like, although he had improved to the point where he now tends to be ok on the left after a bit of work and actually over bends on the right rein. I'm sure you are completely right though, I do need to ride more frequently in a school to help with his suppleness (and mine). Maybe I've just let it slip backwards, also it was a very cold day, maybe I didn't warm him up enough.

I suppose it would be a bit of a test if I could hack him out and see if he feels different to normal, but still too damn icy.

Flippin' heck - seem to be making progress with Jack and Raf throws a spanner in the works.

Roxy has this - she is just stiff down one side. She struggles on the right rein, falling in, and bucking on the canter strike off. The saddle was slipping, even out hacking, so it was quite noticeable. It's one of those things with her - there's nothing wrong conformationally, she just has a tendency to tighten up. Three sessions with a good equine masseur has made a HUGE difference. With her, I plan to stay on top of it and get her back done every 8 weeks. The physio has told me to work long and low, do our carrot stretches every day, and to lunge her regularly (I must admit, I hate lungeing - always seems like a waste of time when I have a limited time I can actually ride - but it's good for Roxy so I have to suck it up!). She is a stiff horse anyway (she is nearly 14 now) and needs a good 15 minutes warm-up for every session before I can really ask her to start working.

Well I am sure lots will disagree, BUT, in my experience, horses seldom take it upon themselves to decide they are going to be 'difficult' on one rein or the other.

IME, there is a reason, with horses, there is almost always a reason, they don't tend to do tricky other than a) pain, b) mental issues. Unless they are abnormal, they generally tend to take the path of less resistance and you have had Raf long enough to know his nature.

Well, phew, visitors have all left, not that it wasn't nice to have them all, but it's also nice to get back to normal.

You're right sjp of course. Raf is one sided like most horses & humans - saddle fitter picked up on it when she came and measured his back but she said he was perfectly normal. The being 'difficult', as he was the last time I rode him, was more extreme than I would usually expect, although still wonder if perhaps I have caused it by not exercising him sufficiently on his stiff side.

Anyway, yesterday I did some carrot stretches as suggested by Jessey (thanks) and was quite shocked how difficult he found it on the left. To the right he could bend right round absolutely no problem, but to the left he just couldn't do it. I hope that points to a back issue rather than a limb issue. Not that a back issue is good, but I hope can be fixed more easily and less likely to be permanent.

Cancelled my lesson on Saturday and left a message on the physio's answerphone. Thanks for your help everyone.

Mine can "bend it like Beckham" the physio commented how flexible she is. I add tail pulls into this because its what has been suggested for her rear end.
I can stand behind her and she reaches round to the hips.
I have always done stretches maybe every few months or so.

Well, phew, visitors have all left, not that it wasn't nice to have them all, but it's also nice to get back to normal.

You're right sjp of course. Raf is one sided like most horses & humans - saddle fitter picked up on it when she came and measured his back but she said he was perfectly normal. The being 'difficult', as he was the last time I rode him, was more extreme than I would usually expect, although still wonder if perhaps I have caused it by not exercising him sufficiently on his stiff side.

Anyway, yesterday I did some carrot stretches as suggested by Jessey (thanks) and was quite shocked how difficult he found it on the left. To the right he could bend right round absolutely no problem, but to the left he just couldn't do it. I hope that points to a back issue rather than a limb issue. Not that a back issue is good, but I hope can be fixed more easily and less likely to be permanent.

Cancelled my lesson on Saturday and left a message on the physio's answerphone. Thanks for your help everyone.
Try not to worry. Roxy was the same. She is much improved now after 3 sessions of physio, it's just one of those things I have to keep an eye on.

Doing daily carrot stretches can really help limber them up, it may not be an "issue" per say, sometimes when they (or we) get stiff it's just easier to avoid doing that thing which then allows that stiffness to get worse and until you start using that bit again it won't loosen off.

Well, usually with Tobes the issue is in his shoulder. As Raf is polar opposite to Tobes could well be in his backend!!!

But generally they do tell us. Sorry Raf is having a problem but am sure you will find it.

Thanks ladies. Just been over and done more carrot stretches - absolutely no problem either side. Mmmm.

Am still having a kind of lesson on Saturday - have cancelled jumping lesson at expensive arena and arranged to hire local arena. Instructor is bringing her port lewis pad so can check saddle pressure and assess the situation. Wasn't the kind of lesson I had planned but I'm sure I'll learn just as much, if not more!

Oh and re Tobes and Raf being polar opposites - we are ( on the advice of saddle fitter) now using saddle company shaped leather girth - exactly the type of thing I thought Raf disliked, but now seems perfectly ok with, so maybe he is becoming more aligned with Toby as time goes on!

newrider.com