Possible Horse Search for OH

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
OH has decided he would like to learn to ride. I'm trying not to get too excited in case he changes his mind, but I would love it so much if we could ride together.

Anyway, being a mature 6 footer of not-skinny build we have a slight problem in that our local riding schools only really cater for children/small adults. My RI plans on teaching OH to ride on the lunge so we need a horse that is both willing and safe and knows its job. She suggested looking for a loan horse - maybe one that is retired from heavy work but still ok for hacking & light schooling. Seems a good idea but there don't seem to be many about, plus if I were loaning out my much loved older horse I think I'd want something better for it than to be a stop-gap for some noob learning to ride.

So I've been casually browsing the 'For Sale's as well and found this one - she sounds lovely.

http://www.horsemart.co.uk/all_rounder_horse_12_yrs_16_2_hh_bay_lancashire/advert/154039

I've googled the seller and found nothing bad. She enters dressage competitions and seems to live in both North Yorkshire and Lancashire, but I suppose she could have moved. What do you think?

That's a really nice looking horse. I would say call the seller and if she thinks the lady would be suitable for your OH, get over and see her.

Lucky you!

Thanks guys - I've been looking at the ad again and the more I do the more I like her. However OH doesn't seem too keen - how strange!

My RI plans on teaching OH to ride on the lunge so we need a horse that is both willing and safe and knows its job. She suggested looking for a loan horse - maybe one that is retired from heavy work but still ok for hacking & light schooling. Seems a good idea

This may sound strange to you, but it actually is a very good idea. My OH learned on the lunge on an elderly horse - slow, steady and smooth, she knew her job. After a year when he was off the lunge and had learned to canter, he changed to another horse, younger, more forward going and more muscle. Less obedient but far more fun.

My view is that often when men start to ride, they are regarded as being tough and daring and they are pushed on very quickly, to ride faster and canter sooner than women. Like being thrown in the deep end. Young men beginners confided twice to me that they were scared and put off. I do strongly recommend that you take it slowly and gently. It sounds as if you have an excellent teacher for him.

A loan horse for a year or so should get your OH happy and competent in the saddle and then he can shop around for a horse he really fancies riding?

That was exactly my RIs thinking Skib and it does make perfect sense. It doesn't seem easy to find such a horse though - a lot of the loans I've seen advertised must stay on their present yard.

True what you say about men too - I did know one guy who had no fear, never ridden before but got his own horse and just got on and rode it - galloped through stubble fields and everything. My OH isn't as young though and I'm worried he'll break if he falls off!

newrider.com