Possible causes of damage to saddle?

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I have an event saddle in my tack room - haven't used it for about 4 years - it was bought originally for Joe when OH used to have jumping lessons. When they came to an end I had it fit to Storm, it is quite light weight and seemed like a good idea. However, it is a boney begger and I was never keen so started riding her in her gp one instead. Anyway, I will try and post pictures later, but I honestly don't know what's happened to it, but it looks as though the leather has started to "peel" off it? It's a Bates one - quite old I bought it second hand about 7 years ago. The tack room doesn't leak and none of the other saddles in there have suffered the same fate, just this particular one. I didn't cover it up - but then again, I haven't covered Joe's old saddle up until earlier this year. It looks like the top layer of leather has come off in patchy bits. Anybody know what could have done this? OH seems to think mice have been at it, but I don't believe that as they'd be more likely to attack the flocking.
Any ideas? Will post a pic later. Hope there is something I can do to make it look a bit better, it looks most moth eaten! I may well use it for our next horse - seems such a shame (and a waste) that it's deteriorated like this.

I once stored a set of cheap Indian leather harness away in the loft, two years later it looked like that but ten times worse. We burnt it, which on reflection would have been the safest thing to do with it in the first place!:redcarded:

It is most odd how none of the other saddles have gone the same way - they are all stored in the same room in a row of racks. I did buy the saddle second hand - was told it wasn't that old - maybe it was older than they said to start with?

Looks like it's been eaten by some sort of leather chomping creature, I have seen similar, specially in stuff stored in out buildings.

Wonder if there's anything I can do to make it look a bit better? Maybe just feed it with something - I have Effax, I will try that. Darn critters, whoever they are...........

You could improve it vastly with some beeswax and a bone and some heel wax or boot polish

We have just bought a superficially water damaged old stubben saddle, fits F like a glove. Put on lots of leather dressing and the more it is ridden on the more the damage looks to lessen. I think boning does much the same in that it works the leather but I will leave it to the experts to explain.

Saddlers have a tool which is the polished rib bone of a cow, or similar. A bone handle of some sort would do. Or anything hard, smooth and shiny.

Dab the bone in some polish or heel wax and gently start to rub the polish or wax into the damaged bit of leather. Spitting on it helps to work the polish into the damaged area. Keep gently putting pressure on and working in small circular motions adding more polish as you go, Buff it up occasionally to see how you are progressing. It is possible to hide all manner of blemishes!

We'd see what we could get past the factory quality controllers at a well known saddle factory. He was good.....but so were we! :D :D

Saddlers have a tool which is the polished rib bone of a cow, or similar. A bone handle of some sort would do. Or anything hard, smooth and shiny.

Dab the bone in some polish or heel wax and gently start to rub the polish or wax into the damaged bit of leather. Spitting on it helps to work the polish into the damaged area. Keep gently putting pressure on and working in small circular motions adding more polish as you go, Buff it up occasionally to see how you are progressing. It is possible to hide all manner of blemishes!

We'd see what we could get past the factory quality controllers at a well known saddle factory. He was good.....but so were we! :D :D
Ooooh I will try a bone handled knife we have!!! It never ceases to amaze me what I can learn on here!!

newrider.com