Portable shelter ideas

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
OK as Hank will be spending quite a while in his pen I would like to organize him some shelter that I can move with the pen relatively easily, without spending a fortune if that's possible.

As long as its about 4ft tall and maybe 6x6ft floor space that would be big enough for him, he is a monkey for chewing on things and rubbing on them but is also pretty sensible and doesn't tend to get himself in a pickle. I have a gazeebo I could use but I wouldn't want it to blow away and won't have a solid fence to tie it to and I have some 12ft rails and shorter bits of wood and several sheets of tin laying around, or I can buy something, I was looking at poly tunnels yesterday :p

That's def a possibility but it wouldn't be very mobile I wouldn't think, and I have no idea where to buy hog panels o_O

Im terrible i just man handle things, i would be able to shift that sliding it one side at a time but it would depend how far your moving it all the time. Hog oanels are just wire mesh panels in the uk :)

Im terrible i just man handle things, i would be able to shift that sliding it one side at a time but it would depend how far your moving it all the time. Hog oanels are just wire mesh panels in the uk :)
I'm all for man handling but doing one side at a time on a 3 sided thing would just pull your corner fixings loose and destabilize the whole thing, and my rutty ground would make it all the harder. The only wire mesh panels I've seen in DIY stores around here have 2x2" holes and not in long enough sheets, I've not seen hog panels with 6x6" or bigger and long ones, and I figured the extra weight would probably be undesirable.

Reactions: mystiquemalaika
If you had any gates or sheep hurdles you could make up 3 sides like in the picture then put some ply or tin sheets across the top. Actually tie some tin round the sides. I would have suggested a tarp round the sides but not if he nibbles. But in all honesty as long as it had a roof that he could get under I'm sure it would be better than nothing. If you tied a hay net under i reckon he'd soon learn to go under.

Alternatively you need a calf hutch.

Reactions: Jessey
Hog panels are just pig arks, most farmers’co-ops have them. Not cheap tho. Pallets and corrugated sheeting should do it.

I would try the gazebo and see how it worked. These can be fairly secure and definately can be moved.

I would try the gazebo and see how it worked. These can be fairly secure and definately can be moved.
I've used them before but always with 1 side lashed to post and rail, I picked up a bunch of small supplement tubs yesterday, figured I could fill them with sand and attach the guy ropes to them for a little extra anti-blow-away power :p

You want it portable when you need it to move, and non when you don't. :D
Our portable field shelter took off into next door. A bit too portable! But we do get high winds here.

I ended up using my IBC cage (that normally has hay in) and tied a board to the side of it to make a wind break and left Hanks rug on. I would normally put the gazebo up and if it takes off they deal with it but I was worried if it did it would spook Hank into going through the electric fence as he doesn't have much spooking room and maybe getting tangled up in it, or it would take the electric fence pen with it and leave Hank back in with Jess. I'll use it when he's in a bigger pen :)

newrider.com