Port mouth 'magic bits'

I use one for Mia, its the only bit she's not totally hated. She doesn't like anything jointed, was sort of ok in her nathe bit but not quite enough tongue room so a port just made sense. Jay had one in to go showing in hand as well just because it looked nice on her with her show bridle and she seemed happy in it, she's in a normal snaffle now though so don't think she's all that fussy really.

Molly goes nicely in hers - but no different to her ported kimblewick) minus curb) - she just likes the mouthpiece and I am yet to find a dressage legal bit that is as good for her :rolleyes:

New loan pony was in one, have replaced with a french link as I was informed by 2 people, one was my RI that it was very severe. Pony had been runnng backwards and had actually reared when her owner had tried to get on. Since getting Panda have put her in a french link snaffle and she no longer runs backwards and seems much happier. My RI did say these bits have there place and has recommended one to one of her pupils, I just don't think my loan pony needed to be in one and her reaction was her trying to avoid it.:eek:

i dont think they are severe as such, more that they suit a certain type of conformation of mouth - offering releif on tongues to those that dont go well in anything jointed. The ones ive seen tho, the rings are very small, making them only suitable for small ponies.

Some ported bits can be severe but the size of the port on the two magic bits I've got is more like little bit of tongue room size than severe.

newrider.com