Poorly horse! Help!

Nutsie

Sep 13, 2014
My mare went lame last Friday. Last Wednesday she saw the farrier, front shoes taken off, on Friday went for 1/2 mile ride up the road (new place - just settling in!) came back n she didn't seem right. Next day obviously lame n stiff at the back. Next day - ok. This Friday, thought il try ride her on the grass to see if she's footsore after lunging her on the grass in the week. Didn't get very far, put numnah and saddle on fine, grabbed the girth and hadn't done it up just touched her n she kicked off, turned to bite, ears pinned back. VERY out of character - imagine normally a dope on a rope falls asleep when tacking up. So took it all off n had a feel, very sensitive n didn't like me touching her there. Tried her back, up near the base of the withers, she did the same. VERY sore n in pain. Her nose is slightly upturned showing discomfort, her eyes are slightly puffy too n standing on 3 legs (swapping the back two every so often) all the time pretty much. She's eating and drinking as normal and ok on the field but am very concerned, vet is coming out tomorrow. Just looking for ideas of what it could be/what I can do to help her? Is it her back? Or something going on inside her tummy? Don't like the waiting game!

Hadn't even crossed my mind - oops! She seemed fine when ridden albeit briefly n relaxed and her usual self, and when lunged she seemed ok, so maybe she has but mildly. Although she did try to urinate on sat 3 times n struggled n stood there got ages but I put that down to her being in season?

Sorry been out all day so late to this but I personally would have had a vet out as an emergency based on the difficulty urinating. How is she this evening?
I had called the vet and explained it all immediately but the vet said she's just in season and the other stuff will see to today

I may be too late with my only piece of advice which would be to keep a urine specimen pot handy in your pocket at all times ready to whip out if your mare urinates, in case the vet wants a sample. I had to collect one from my gelding once and found it suprisingly difficult! Hope your mare is ok x

A lid from an Aerosol tin, taped to a long garden cane is my preferred pee sampling method! :D

Reactions: Trewsers
My initial thought was could she have been footsore since she went lame so soon after having her shoes off?

Not sure with regards to everything else tho

Vet
What did the vet say today?
Vets baffled, going in tomorrow, concerned about tumours? As she had one before, for god knows how long before I got her, I got it removed, so vets concerned about that and/or something in her back. At least were starting to pinpoint it!

Oo goodness, well hopefully the fact it came on fast means it's not a tumor and is something pretty simple to fix

What made you have her shoes taken off?
As previously we had a lot of roads to hack on n to get to a ménage but at the new place it's all off road and soft, she's never been bothered about no shoes before, so thought if try it... And farrier agreed :)

Oh dear, yes what a worry for you, fingers crossed they get to the bottom of it and it's something simple to fix.

newrider.com