Poorly Floss

Got no dreamies but she does like the little cat biscuits. Wont eat the proper dog ones. Abbey is fed on a raw meat feed for her dietary problems but floss isnt keen on that, especially when shes feeling poorly.
Oh forgot the malt loaf off my list too. Just have to be careful on some things. Malt loaf isnt good as its got sultanas in. Grapes are bad for dogs like chocolate. But last weekend i just said if its to be her last few days she can have what ever she wants.

Just a thought. But, as our last gasp, we put Wee Patt on CBD oil. I am not a fan but we had nothing left to lose and I must say it has helped hugely. For us, we are on our last straw to grasp and just buying time but it has really helped our little dog and made a visible difference in her whole outlook. I can give you the name of the manufacturer If you pm me. He was very quick to respond and help.

so sorry, it's so hard watching them and wondering if you are just prolonging their struggle or whether you can get them better. Always so hard to know when to call it and when to keep going and hope for improvement. We had a scare last night, both dogs had their vaccinations yesterday and both not well last night

I think the younger they are the harder it is sometimes. Even given that some dogs age at different rates. I sad floss would never make an old dog given what she went through when she was younger, swallowing the burrs and making herself very ill. Think it has long term scared her inside. But shes made it to 13 which i understand for a collie is considered old.
My other terrier cross is 16. She is riddled with lumps and bumps, arthritic, skin isues. Im afraid when she gets poorly i will call it very quickly.

Initially when it happened in march with floss we thought it was the end but what i read and talking with the vet gave me hope. We had a month of struggle but ive had 6 more months with her and probably 4 of which you would struggle to know anything was wrong.

I think the younger they are the harder it is sometimes. Even given that some dogs age at different rates. I sad floss would never make an old dog given what she went through when she was younger, swallowing the burrs and making herself very ill. Think it has long term scared her inside. But shes made it to 13 which i understand for a collie is considered old.
My other terrier cross is 16. She is riddled with lumps and bumps, arthritic, skin isues. Im afraid when she gets poorly i will call it very quickly.

Initially when it happened in march with floss we thought it was the end but what i read and talking with the vet gave me hope. We had a month of struggle but ive had 6 more months with her and probably 4 of which you would struggle to know anything was wrong.
Kim our poodle is showing a little bit more age but she has been rebuilt with stemcells to buy her more time. Harrison is much younger but delicate and doesn't have her constitution which is strong and fighting

Reactions: Huggy
Cat feeding for someone this week while they go away. So took floss in the car with me. At the end of there road is a massive playing field so i went and parked in the carpark and i took her for a little walk. Something completely different to help stimulate her brain. We managed about 400metres round it. She was a bit wobbly but lots of breaks whilst she sniffed intently. Thats the one thing about this vestibular. All she wants to do in the garden is sniff, sniff, sniff. Shes normally a dog that takes a quick sniff and moves on. Think it changes how the brain processes the smells. Eventually as she gets stronger the sniffing obsession got less. Shes polished off another good breakfast and is having a well earned nap now.

Bit of a set back Monday afternoon, very bright still in the house, but extremely wobbly. Falling over loads.
Yesterday all she could manage was a little walk round the garden on the lead, looking round and up at the sky and lots of standing on the spot gazing.
Manage to walk her 100 metres to next doors gate and back this morning, but had to keep her on the lead to help support her. Didnt manage to go to the toilet yesterday, think she holds onto it all as shes so frightened that she will fall over if she tries. I managed to hold and support her this morning to go.

(((hugs))), I'm still hoping for a recovery and I know you must think there's a chance or you wouldn't be trying so hard xx

Shes bright and shes eating so yes very much hoping she will recover.

Just worried that this wobblyness is the onset of another episode coming on.

(((hugs))), I always feel if they have an interest in life and you can see some fight left then it's worth a try xx

Silly question but if someone could lend you a trolley for disabled dogs would it help to keep her balance and make her more confident? Poor wee girl, keep fighting

No dont think so. Probably make her worried. Shes a funny dog. Most collies love to be perched on the back of quads when going round the fields checking sheep. Not that i have one of those. But she gets stressed being stood on the back of a moving trailer going round the field. Prefers her feet on terra firma to run.
A friend of mines has just been up to see her. When i said she was poorly again a few days ago and might have to make the call if she doesnt recover he was a bit upset and wanted to see her. He lost his dog a few months ago too, to cancer, so hes still getting over his loss. She was all over him, trying to jump up at him, but falling backwards as she miscued.

The last time i went to his to deliver some straw to his place a few months ago, she was floating round his field sniffing, next thing we wondered where she was. We discover he had left his car door open and she had snuck into his car and was happily sitting on the front drivers seat looking out.

So shes had a bit of stimulation. Im going to take her in the car later down to the field when i go to see the lambs. No way she can walk all the way down and back, so if i drive there it will be enough.

Poor girl was out with me this morning managed about 200 metres down the road, one of the cows mooed that was opposite on the hill. She was so busy sniffing the moo frit her, she shot forward and colapsed in a heap on the floor. When she got to her feet she stood holding up her back leg. I massaged it and she started to put it to the floor. Walked home hobbling as well as wobbling. She shes ok this afternoon so hopefully just tweaked the leg a bit.

Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers
Poor floss had a bad night. I was awoken by her trying to be sick, so i jumped out of bed to try and get her to the front door so she could be sick outside. My body had other ideas. My leg had completely gone dead, it moved forward but as i went to put my weight on it, it couldnt take my weight and i fell forward almost smacking my head on the bedroom door. There i was trying to regain my balance, her heaving, im telling my leg to wake up. We were lucky i made it, i used the peices of furniture to balance me the 10ft to the front door. After a minute the feeling came back. Got her back in and jumped back into bed.

Unfortunately about 1/2 hour later she started to try throwing up again, this time i wasnt quick enough, and she got the hall carpet. So i had that to clean up. We went back to bed and she went off back to sleep, so weve had a lay in. Decided it was best to let her rest.
Ive given her half rations for breakfast and she has actually eaten it.

Yesterday she seemed quite perky, so i took her with us for a short car drive when i popped out and she managed to come round all the animals with me yesterday afternoon. Ive only been letting her do half with me, then drop her back in the house. Begining of the week she was a little off colour, Thursday she was coughing and licking her mouth. A sure sign of dicomfort. So we gave her an antibiotic. I thought i was going to be taking her to the vet for the inevitable. By yesterday she perked up no end.

Last week she managed to come round twice with me to do all the animals, which is a good 1.5 miles of walking. The next day though you could tell she was tired so she was made to rest up. She gets bored in the house, though and you can see it in her face, the minute she sees me put my coat and boots on, she wants to come out with me. She barks as soon as i shut the door on her and tell her to stay.

Her biggest problem does seem to be as soon as it gets dark, she cant see very well, gets more wobbly and gets disorientated and distressed. Weve noticed since the episode that her eyesight has decreased. I now have to keep her in a lead at night. If i take her out off the lead i have to keep her within 20 feet of me or

Its such a balancing act, between trying to push her a little more each day, but not over doing it.

Got interrupted whilst writing this, poor girl has just thrown up. Managed to then lay in it. So shes just had to be shampooed, to get it off, which she hates, then threw up again whilst im drying her. Poor baby.

• Sad
Reactions: Jessey and Trewsers
newrider.com