Poorly Floss

When i rang the vets this morning my vet answered the phone as soon as i say she'd had another bad episode he said oh no. He said straight away, each time it happens recovery is longer or maybe not at all. He was jam packed with appointments, but said if i could get her there for 9.15 he would squeeze her in. So i had 25 minutes to throw some close on. Carry her to the car and get her there.
Vet was on the side of letting her go due to the quality of life. But I said i wanted to try an anti sickness injection and see if it helps at least to stop the dizzyness to make her comfortable. Hes also given her a steroid injection too. Until the brain stops doing whatever it does we wont know if theres any chance. Shes had a few drinks of water and a couple of cheddars. Shes having a little sleep just now.

Its six months since it first happened and whilst it was a long recovery initially she made a good recovery and has been able to go back to her walks and working/playing round the sheep. The last few months she looks at me every night when she knows its sheep checking time. Just hope this will be able to still happen for a while yet.
?

When i rang the vets this morning my vet answered the phone as soon as i say she'd had another bad episode he said oh no. He said straight away, each time it happens recovery is longer or maybe not at all. He was jam packed with appointments, but said if i could get her there for 9.15 he would squeeze her in. So i had 25 minutes to throw some close on. Carry her to the car and get her there.
Vet was on the side of letting her go due to the quality of life. But I said i wanted to try an anti sickness injection and see if it helps at least to stop the dizzyness to make her comfortable. Hes also given her a steroid injection too. Until the brain stops doing whatever it does we wont know if theres any chance. Shes had a few drinks of water and a couple of cheddars. Shes having a little sleep just now.

Its six months since it first happened and whilst it was a long recovery initially she made a good recovery and has been able to go back to her walks and working/playing round the sheep. The last few months she looks at me every night when she knows its sheep checking time. Just hope this will be able to still happen for a while yet.
Lots more vibes for a good recovery for Floss.x

She still cant stand. Carried her outside last night and she eventually managed to stope for a very long wee. Poor girl had been holding onto it for over 24hrs. Had another wee this morning. No no. 2s though.
Shes drinking water and given her a number of drinks of milk which she knocked back. Shes had a few of her favourite custard creams. Always looks longingly when i open a packet. The test of breakfast has been cheddars, a bit of ham, malt loaf, half a sachet of cat food and an anti sickness.
Shes actually eating better than when she had the episode in march, but less standing ability this time. She looks perky, and the head is coming up, so interested in life but darn brain is just not sending the signals. Her eyes are still flicking though. Only able to take a couple of paces with me supporting her. Im giving her the weekend to see if she rallies any more. The vets say it is a very slow recovery so although it sounds dreadful and is, you dont want them to suffer, but only time and rest will tell.

If she's still enjoying her custard creams, she's still got some quality, I would think. Whatever happens, you're giving her the best you can, and you can tell yourself that, however things go.

Reactions: Trewsers
A bit of progress, she looked perky last night so we carried her in the lounge to be with us. Then at midnight after i took her out for a wee, i let her stay in my room for the night. This morning she couldnt get up still but did try. I carried her out to the garden, had a towel under herback end to support her but, she managed a wee and poo. First poo since thursday. Brought her back in and laid her back in my room. I was in the lounge and suddenly heard thud. Shed got to her feet and managed to stagger into the hallway.
I then managed to get her to walk into the kitchen. She laid down as she was clearly tired but i said do you want to go out and she got herself up. So put a lead on and tiny steps, lots of stops but she made it down the drive. Had a little bark at the paragliders and managed to walk back. Having a little rest now.

Thank you for that update :) . I don't even know her but I keep coming on here to see if she's getting any better x

A bit of progress, she looked perky last night so we carried her in the lounge to be with us. Then at midnight after i took her out for a wee, i let her stay in my room for the night. This morning she couldnt get up still but did try. I carried her out to the garden, had a towel under herback end to support her but, she managed a wee and poo. First poo since thursday. Brought her back in and laid her back in my room. I was in the lounge and suddenly heard thud. Shed got to her feet and managed to stagger into the hallway.
I then managed to get her to walk into the kitchen. She laid down as she was clearly tired but i said do you want to go out and she got herself up. So put a lead on and tiny steps, lots of stops but she made it down the drive. Had a little bark at the paragliders and managed to walk back. Having a little rest now.
Ah bless her - little fighter!

No real change in Floss. Sometimes she eats other times she just turns her head away. Shes on whatever human food we can bribe her with. Stuff normal dog food.
She manages a little walk outside for a wee but really doesnt want to walk and just stands looking blank. If she tries too many steps in one go she starts going of course and round in a circle and then falls over.

She spent yesterday laid in my room whilst i was at work. Perked up once i came home and came and joined me in the lounge. Managed to get her front feet up on the sofa and rested her head on me for a cuddle.

No real change in Floss. Sometimes she eats other times she just turns her head away. Shes on whatever human food we can bribe her with. Stuff normal dog food.
She manages a little walk outside for a wee but really doesnt want to walk and just stands looking blank. If she tries too many steps in one go she starts going of course and round in a circle and then falls over.

She spent yesterday laid in my room whilst i was at work. Perked up once i came home and came and joined me in the lounge. Managed to get her front feet up on the sofa and rested her head on me for a cuddle.
Oh my heart's breaking as much as if she were mine. It's good that she can feel loved and cossetted when she's so poorly.

Slowly slowly, but yesterday afternoon she managed to walk down the yard about 100metres and back.
Going to the toilet is a little bit of an issue. Get it wrong she over balances and lands on her head. If it wasnt so awful, and you didnt know how ill she is, it is quite funny to watch her topple and her drunken staggering. You just couldn't stage it. Unfortunately every fall knocks the confidence.
She did have a little bit of an upset tummy yesterday. Probably all the different foods shes been bribed with. Shes back normal today though. Took her out this morning and she managed a short walk down the road and back. Probably about another 100 metres.
Shes trying to play with her squeaky in the lounge too. Just has trouble lining her mouth up with it to pick it up. But her personality is starting to come back.
Keeping my fingers crossed we can continue to build on the walking distance,

That's a real improvement, I pray she keeps getting better. Your nursing and love are incredible, they must give her the will to keep going x

Reactions: Huggy
Oh god, my heart goes out to you. What about steroids (they make you hungry)? What about cat food (I have yet to meet a dog who doesn't love stealing it) - offer little and often even if she is licking honey off your hands. Mine loves wafer thin ham and that is the food that keeps her going these days.

I am so sorry. Just gentle mobilisation, listen to what she says she can and can't do and go with her flow. Keeping her bowels and bladder normal is a huge step towards letting her innards sort themselves out and then her brain.

If it is any consolation, I am syringing food twice daily into my wee patterdale to keep her going.

My motto is "whatever it takes" as long as there is a glimmer of smiling somewhere and life enjoyment so I completely understand what you are going thru and am full of admiration xx

Last edited:
Reactions: Huggy
Thank you @Frances144. Cat food, ham, chicken, braising steak, gravy and veg, stew, milk, custard creams, oat biscuits, skips, crisps, pringles, cheese, cream cheese, cheddars, cake, you name it shes probably had it. Only in small quantities if she will eat it, but anything to keep the stomach going and strengthen the body and mind.

Thank you @Frances144. Cat food, ham, chicken, braising steak, gravy and veg, stew, milk, custard creams, oat biscuits, skips, crisps, pringles, cheese, cream cheese, cheddars, cake, you name it shes probably had it. Only in small quantities if she will eat it, but anything to keep the stomach going and strengthen the body and mind.
Totally that. (Goes off to find all these things for my wee patt too). Dreamies have special powers!

newrider.com