Poorly Floss

Poor girl - hope she gets over it ok. Coincidentally, we're taking Alfie to the vet today, and having read this, he's a little similar, though much milder symptoms. He's 11 this year, how old is Floss?

It's very hard watching them struggle. My cat had a stroke, he taught himself to walk again, and he was determined it may take him 20 minutes to get across the garden and he walked crookedly but he got there, just sat down and rested. He was lucky in that once he got over the first stroke mentally he was fine, his coordination wasn't perfect but he got around and had a few more years of good quality. Hope she is feeling a bit better this morning.

Shes even more wobbly this morning. I opened the door to let her out to wee and she fell out the door, shes gone straight to eating grass. I shall have to put her on a lead to walk her in the garden for a wee as ive got too many bank for her to fall down.
Ive got an antisickness tablet left from the last time so im going to give her that. We shall see if she wants any breakfast shortly. We might well be back to bribery offering in the food.

I hope yours is ok @Huggy and its not vestibular. Flossys symptoms were mildish last night but very much worse this morning. Shes 13. Vestibular disease mainly effects older dogs hence another name is geriatric vestibular. It can happen in younger ones too. Its awful.

• Sad
Reactions: Jessey
Shame she's not improved overnight. Alfie seems totally fine today. Rang the vets, and they said to cancel today, but book appt if he goes back. Poor Floss, but she's in the best place she could be, with you.

Reactions: Trewsers
Shes still on rest. Still eating her food and bright but her head is more turned sideways.
I did miss her help yesterday moving the cattle. Shes miffed that im not taking her out with me. She looks longingly at me everytime i go out the door.

Reactions: Huggy and Jessey
Floss is bad again. She went out this morning and the first thing she did was grab some grass. I also said yesterday she looked like she was leaning her back end over to one side and a couple of times she looked like she was walking crooked in the lounge.
Ive just come in from the boys to eat my dinner before taking the dogs out for there evening walk and to see the sheep. While im eating my tea i notice floss is stood propped agaist the arm chair. As she went to walk she just couldnt lift her legs to coordinate. The brain is just not sending those signals through. I could see her trying and stressing. Shes licking her lips, so will probably be sick if she moves. Ive managed to get her laid out on the floor. Her legs wont even bend underneath her at present. Her little eyes are going side to side. Weve got an anti sickness tablet left from her last episode which we will give her if she stays quiet enough to not be sick. But i think she will be heading for the vet tomorrow morning for an anti sickness injection and to get some more tablets. This looks like it might be a bad episode. Weve taken up the plastic beds and kitted out the unlity room with cushions so she can fall on those for a soft landing.

• Sad
Reactions: Jessey
Floss is bad again. She went out this morning and the first thing she did was grab some grass. I also said yesterday she looked like she was leaning her back end over to one side and a couple of times she looked like she was walking crooked in the lounge.
Ive just come in from the boys to eat my dinner before taking the dogs out for there evening walk and to see the sheep. While im eating my tea i notice floss is stood propped agaist the arm chair. As she went to walk she just couldnt lift her legs to coordinate. The brain is just not sending those signals through. I could see her trying and stressing. Shes licking her lips, so will probably be sick if she moves. Ive managed to get her laid out on the floor. Her legs wont even bend underneath her at present. Her little eyes are going side to side. Weve got an anti sickness tablet left from her last episode which we will give her if she stays quiet enough to not be sick. But i think she will be heading for the vet tomorrow morning for an anti sickness injection and to get some more tablets. This looks like it might be a bad episode. Weve taken up the plastic beds and kitted out the unlity room with cushions so she can fall on those for a soft landing.
Lots of vibes for Flossx

Poor girls been sick twice. We gave her the anti sickness tablet after she was sick the first time, unfortunately she brought it back up, so i fished it out the second lot of sick and have forced it down the throat again. Hope she keeps it down this time.
Got my bean bag, coffee and mince pie and now sitting with her in the utility room. Shes just having a little sleep.

Reactions: carthorse
so sorry to hear this, she sounds as if she is really struggling. Hope the tablets give her some relief, maybe injections are more reliable - are you able to do them at home like i used to do with a diabetic cat?

I dont know. Probably not. Last time we took her to the surgery they gave her one injection and then four 2 tablets 1/2 a day. If she didnt eat or drink they said shed have to go in on a drip.

She was sick 4 times last night. Shes just laid quiet this morning but i cant get her up at all. Ive tried lifting her but she just panics and the legs just dont go where there supposed to. Her eyes are still going. Ive managed to give her a couple of drinks, will ring the vets once they open.

Unfortunately there is no proper treatment for this. They just give anti sickness to stop the nausea. Its just rest and hope what ever it is going on in the brain sorts its self without leaving paralysis.

• Sad
Reactions: carthorse
So sorry that you are having to go through this, it sounds awful. She's lucky to have you with her, vibes that she improves soon

I dont know. Probably not. Last time we took her to the surgery they gave her one injection and then four 2 tablets 1/2 a day. If she didnt eat or drink they said shed have to go in on a drip.

She was sick 4 times last night. Shes just laid quiet this morning but i cant get her up at all. Ive tried lifting her but she just panics and the legs just dont go where there supposed to. Her eyes are still going. Ive managed to give her a couple of drinks, will ring the vets once they open.

Unfortunately there is no proper treatment for this. They just give anti sickness to stop the nausea. Its just rest and hope what ever it is going on in the brain sorts its self without leaving paralysis.
not good at all, my diabetic cat managed for years then it went into her brain and she went like that and we had to call it. Really hard for you watching her struggle

When i rang the vets this morning my vet answered the phone as soon as i say she'd had another bad episode he said oh no. He said straight away, each time it happens recovery is longer or maybe not at all. He was jam packed with appointments, but said if i could get her there for 9.15 he would squeeze her in. So i had 25 minutes to throw some close on. Carry her to the car and get her there.
Vet was on the side of letting her go due to the quality of life. But I said i wanted to try an anti sickness injection and see if it helps at least to stop the dizzyness to make her comfortable. Hes also given her a steroid injection too. Until the brain stops doing whatever it does we wont know if theres any chance. Shes had a few drinks of water and a couple of cheddars. Shes having a little sleep just now.

Its six months since it first happened and whilst it was a long recovery initially she made a good recovery and has been able to go back to her walks and working/playing round the sheep. The last few months she looks at me every night when she knows its sheep checking time. Just hope this will be able to still happen for a while yet.

newrider.com