Poorly Bob :(

Well I've been struggling a bit with bob on the left rein for the last few weeks when schooling. I've been persevering but t hasn't gotten any better so today I had a lesson and my RI ride him too to see if she could feel what was wrong.

He's not lame in anyway but it was soon apparent that he is stiff, a bit short On the left side particularly if you ask him to do a small circle.

He was very ill 2 years ago with an infected knee joint after a kick in the field and ended up having it flushed 3 times under general anaesthetic at the vet school. We very nearly lost him but somehow he pulled through. Even then he had restricted movement and flexion in it for 6 months but after rest the vet was happy .... And amazed at his recovery.

Since then he's been great and never lame on it.
Problems with it. We always knew he would probably get arthritis in it but I'd hoped we'd have a bit more time before that happened :unsure:

I'm really worried about him, I really want him to be happy and comfortable, I also want to enjoy my gorgeous boy now we are making real progress.

We have put him on Bute for the week then if he improves we will know there is inflammation and get the vet out. I know there's lots of good treatments now for it but I'm just so worried, he's so young (9).

Anyone with experience if this cheer me up?:cry:

Oh bless, I'm so sorry to hear this crinklesb, after all your hard work recently. Its gutting isn't it. I hope things come good with him. Sorry I haven't got any more advice or words of wisdom. I've got my boy on turmeric now though so thats the only thing I can suggest.

Hopefully will know more at the end if the week. He's a tough boy so hopefully we'll get through it. Even if it does mean expensive injections for the rest of his life.

My main worry is that he has a really high pain threshold. When his knee was infected the vet school was convinced it was only a surface infection until they xrayed it. Normally horses are on 3 legs, he wasn't even lame. I don't want him to be in pain, it's just very hard to know with him.

Try Maxaflex - it's supposed to help the bits between the joints, that aid movement :smile:
maxaflex-big.jpg

Thanks Dark Storm. I have to say though I'm just not convinced about supplement and whether they are worth the money. I went to a talk at the vet school in Edinburgh about it a while back.....with a supplement company sponsoring it....and a full scale argument erupted from the vets as to whether they actually worked. The ones they recommend Cosequin I think are £150 a month for the dose Bob would need. Their argument was that even with the might and the money of the pharmaceutical industry they haven't been able to prove it works in humans. Part of me wants to give them anyway just incase they do work but TBH I can't really afford it....baby on the way and one salary to look forward to :(

newrider.com