Poo picking tools

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I've had my fynalite shavings for for a good 15 years but finally it died last night, the handle snapped (they are never the same once you replace handles :rolleyes:) and my scoop & scraper is also looking a little worse for wear so its time for new ones, but whats best for poo picking fields?

I like my fynalite fork apart from the tines getting caught in the grass, would one of the looped end rubber mat versions get snagged less?

And with a scoop is it rake or scraper?

My main thing is to keep minimal stress on my back, bending and twisting a lot makes it very sore.

It's sad when our trusty tools die! lol I had fynalite forks too which died on me, they did work hard tho.
I ended up buying another fork in pink, which took a bit of getting used to as it's a lot longer. I think that might be the same brand too. Mine are metal but I did have a plastic affair which broke when used in the field. I need to invest in another as OH has started mucking Chloe out and has to wait for sharing my fork!

Reactions: Jessey
I have the standard rake and fork pair for doing my lot BUT Aldi recently sold child-sized garden tools and I was put onto them on a horse FB page. I bought a little fan-shaped rake with thin tynes and a little metal straight rake too, for a mere £1.99 apiece- and whilst the fan-shaped one is a bit flimsy, the solid rectangular headed one is FAB for poo picking on short grass..... better than the rake that comes with the scoop as the tynes are closer together. Even copes with Jack's elephantine mounds!!! Bargain!! :D

Reactions: Jessey
I hate poo picking other people's field when I look after their ponies when they use a fork. It's takes ages and the prongs catch argg.

I always take my trusted scoop and rake thing that comes with it. Two big boys and only takes me ten minutes a day

Yup I use the fork for short grass on level ground and scoop for long grass and uneven ground, my back hates when I do it all with a scoop, its the stooping over that kills it

Shavings fork for me, although agree it is annoying in long grass. I don't think I could be bothered with a pooper scooper thingy, too much lifting and tipping - I like a good fling, especially down the side of the field that is bordered with bushes and scrub where you can actually fling it over the fence - the blackberries are really good down there as well!

Its always being the scoop and rake for me! Cant stand using the fork!

I don't really like the fork - it gets stuck! We didn't do much poo picking where we were, never needed to cos we had more land than needed. Plus half the time they ended up in the arena. Now arenas are easy to pick!

newrider.com