Poo dance needed!

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
Please can all my NR friends join me in the poo dance so that Ben finally poos! Another livery called me last night because they were concerned about him, and to cut a long story short the vet came out at 10:30pm and gave him a load of drugs. He has been in his stable all night without food, I checked him at 4am and he was lying down, but by 7am he was brighter. He had a grass walk, a sloppy feed and a small amount of hay. He has drunk 1/2 bucket of water and had a wee, but no poo as of yet. He vet did a rectum examination and found that there was nothing there. This either means that he has managed to poo out everything since I saw him yesterday afternoon, or that there is a blockage further up which means that food is not passing through.

He is much better than he was last night, his appetite has returned and he looks almost normal. However his stomach is harder than it normally is, and there is no poo. I last saw him poo at 3pm yesterday and he was found in a sorry state at 9am. Therefore he hasn't had a poo for at least 14 hours and it may be as long as 20 hours. So please join me in the poo dance and hope that he magically recovers. Otherwise the vet will come back this afternoon and may well take him in.

Lots and lots of vibes.

Is it possible, with his other problems, to give him a brisk lunge? When you say his tummy is hard I wonder if he's gassy further up and that's causing pressure that's stopping food passing through - it used to happen with Jim - and often a brisk lunge would break it down enough for food to start passing through. A walk in hand, while better than nothing, is rarely enough unless they're an utter idiot to lead, and I'm not wishing that on you!

Reactions: Jessey
Lots and lots of vibes.

Is it possible, with his other problems, to give him a brisk lunge? When you say his tummy is hard I wonder if he's gassy further up and that's causing pressure that's stopping food passing through - it used to happen with Jim - and often a brisk lunge would break it down enough for food to start passing through. A walk in hand, while better than nothing, is rarely enough unless they're an utter idiot to lead, and I'm not wishing that on you!
He can’t be lunged, all he can do is walk in straight lines and he is slow at doing that. Vet said not to worry too much if he doesn’t poo today, but if he hasn’t gone by tomorrow morning she will need to come out again.

Is his tummy making noises? A silent tum is usually a sign that digesting isn't doing what it should. Anyway, vibes for a good poo - I hope it happens and he perks up.

Reactions: MrA
Everything crossed for you. My vets always take the no food until they are pooing route X

Poo vibes coming his way xx could you load him on lorry/trailer, sometimes the excitement of that can get things moving. When Jess went in for colic surgery it improved by the time we arrived and she didn’t need it and they told me about 80% of those referred for surgery improved with travelling so to always try it ?

Reactions: carthorse
Thanks for the poo dances. He finally had a huge poo at about 4pm today. He has now gone out overnight and a friend is checking on him this evening for me. He seemed almost back to normal, I find it scary how quickly he went from being well to ill, and then back to being well again. I am absolutely exhausted and still very worried. Fingers crossed he has a good night and is back to normal tomorrow.

If he's had a big poo and is now out mooching around in his field then the chances are the movement will keep his guts moving now. I won't say don't worry because that's impossible, but you need to look after yourself now or you won't be any use to anyone So do something you find relaxing and try to have an early night x

Reactions: lauren123
I’m standing with him now and he seems absolutely fine. His tummy is soft again, he is eating his hay, had a sloppy breakfast and is bright and alert. I will come down this afternoon and hope to find a couple of poos. Thanks for all the good wishes, it’s been a whirlwind couple of days.

newrider.com