pony sarcoid saga

Talibutts

Nov 1, 2010
Pie Land
Well to all the people who saw my previous thread, I have my pony back home!

I didn't get to view her, because I was somewhere else at the time, and they had viewings lined up, one man from a riding school was comming with his box.

So, yesterday I sent my eldest daughter up to give them a £100 deposit, she did a quick once over, but was very dissapointed to see her shod all round (she's training to be a barefoot trimmer!!!)and only really focused on the feet. So I went and picked her up this evening.

I have ordered the global herbs sarc ex and global vite, I would like to order the cream, but she is so wary when you approach the leg, that I can only imagine it is painful. But, she looks sound when trotted up, my daughter swears by a product called 'good hoof' made by Dan Guerra, and this is a liquid that can be sprayed, so I am going to spray that on and see.

I was wondering how long should I give it before I call the vet in?

Her vaccs are due in September, if nothing else changes, does it seem ok to give it till then?

Dimplomaticand tactful, I am not sure if she remembered the farm, but she walked right in her old stable and just started eating.....like she'd never been away.

I am so excited I feel like a kid on christmas day, how daft am I!!!!:bounce:

congratulations!

i'm a bit confused though why she is sensitive near the sarcoid - they rarely actually hurt/cause bother, not enough to make them sensitive like that. my lad only got funny about it at the height of the worst part - right in the middle of the treatment when it was bleeding, the treatment was literally burning it off etc, and even then it was only when you properly touched it - he wasnt flinchy just going nr it.

can we get some pics of it? it is a flat type one or is it a nodule type?

in my experience - and please only take it as my own experience as i have heard differently - the flat, bald types dont cause any fuss. they dont explode outwards in a mass of gore & grossness like the nodule one, and because they dont 'open' they're not too troublesome - the main trouble with sarcoids is risk of infection due to them being open and bloody. the actual sarcoid itself isnt that big a problem.

i have heard before though, that the flat ones are deceiving and are worse than the really yucky protruding ones, but i have no idea why they say that.

i would personally always get the vet to check it first - and leave it to them to decide whether to treat or to just leave it & watch for changes.

I have no idea why she is so sensitive towards it, my only thought is that she has changed home three times in just over a week, so perhaps a lot of people have been 'poking', I really don't have any answers.

I do think the problem might not be as simple as a sarcoid, but hey ho!

I will take pics, see if trimming daughter can get some tomorrow.

I'm sorry but the minute I discovered what I suspected was a sarcoid on Joy I was straight onto the vets making an appointment. Sarcoids are a benign tumour. I wouldn't self dismiss and treat something that serious. If the vet approves a treatment then all well and good but it is my personal view that a vet needs to be involved from the start. There are different types of sarcoid and each may benefit from different treatments to the next.

I love your story about getting back your old/previous pony. Really hope it all works out for you. For me as a novice owner I wouldn't be able to sleep until I'd had a vet look at it - better safe than sorry.

Good luck - good vibes :angel:

The sarc ex took some time to kick in. Over the course of 18 months using it (on and off, more on than off), he has lost 5 sarcoids. In hindsight I would use the Immuplus with the Sarc Ex - the immuplus helps the immune system which is the root cause of sarcoids.

I personally, would not care to go down the liverpool treatment route, and to be honest, it is only because I didn't want him to have the sarcoids that I put him on Sarc Ex. They didn't bother him at all.

congratulations!

i'm a bit confused though why she is sensitive near the sarcoid - they rarely actually hurt/cause bother, not enough to make them sensitive like that. my lad only got funny about it at the height of the worst part - right in the middle of the treatment when it was bleeding, the treatment was literally burning it off etc, and even then it was only when you properly touched it - he wasnt flinchy just going nr it.

can we get some pics of it? it is a flat type one or is it a nodule type?

in my experience - and please only take it as my own experience as i have heard differently - the flat, bald types dont cause any fuss. they dont explode outwards in a mass of gore & grossness like the nodule one, and because they dont 'open' they're not too troublesome - the main trouble with sarcoids is risk of infection due to them being open and bloody. the actual sarcoid itself isnt that big a problem.

i have heard before though, that the flat ones are deceiving and are worse than the really yucky protruding ones, but i have no idea why they say that.

i would personally always get the vet to check it first - and leave it to them to decide whether to treat or to just leave it & watch for changes.

My boy has nodule ones on his sheath, I have had him almost two years (17th July, here we come :D) and over the last six months one of his has sprouted a small extra nodule, but he doesn't appear to be even remotely bothered by them. The previous owner (who told me anything and everything you could possibly imagine) said they hadn't altered while she'd had them, and I see no reason for her to lie (she was 110% honest about everything else).

Thanks for all the help, pones had a fall or some problem at some point, her hips/back is out, Osteo starting a course of treatment, and pone is chilling/resting in our field.

If this pone needs vet,dentist, saddle fitter, back person, farrier or barefoot trimmer you can all rest assured that she will not at any point suffer or go without, and will stay with me now till we both retire.

newrider.com